RB1 Technical Info/Hacking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In our '04 WJ we have the RB1 NAV HU. Tired of looking at that pretyt 4.9" screen that's worthless. Was considering gutting the stereo and using the display/buttons in some kind of carputer build up to retain a factory look.

I can't seem to find any technical info on the LCD screen. MY biggest fear is getting ac arputer to display a resolution that is friendly for it. I know some companies modified the RB1 to have an AUX video input so you could play DVD movies, and it looks good based on screenshots, so i'd suspect it's something close to 640x480 resolution. My google fu is either failing or the info just isn't out there. Any ideas?

If I can't find any info, i might just take the RB1 out and rip it to shreds and see what i can find with my multimeter and some screwing around. I can always take my Sony HU out of my liberty and put it into the WJ to appease the wife while i hack away.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been wanting to do some kind of jeepputer for a wile i have been thinking about this unit

http://www.xenarc.com/product/MDT-X7000.html

Yah, I saw that's a popular unit, but they run $400-500 which is crazy. I originally considered this in my liberty, but a in-dash monitor like that blocked a good portion of the A/C vents which is no good (this problem doesn't exist in the WJ which has A/C vents below the stereo).

I don't really need a high resolution display, and i'd actually prefer to just use the stock unit, particularly if i modified the buttons/knobs to be keyboard ijnputs and could use them all to control the interface (no remote or touchscreen needed). I'd probalby build my own low-res interface in this case. Maybe i'll just do the switch then start tinkering and see what I can do. I just don't want to spend a significant amount of time and find out i can't output a resolution it likes.

My main issue is i'd like to know in advance if the screen is looking for an RGB component input, composite, or what so i'd have some kind of reasonable starting point.

EDIT: Or i suppose i could procure an LCD control board to take a VGA input, but probably cheaper/easier to provide whatever input the current LCD control board wants...

Last edited:

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score