RB1 and RB4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, two questions.
1. Are there any major drawbacks to either one? Such as one is much better tham the other?

2. How do you enter an address? Say I want to go from my home to to adddress here, how do I do that?

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1.RB1 can't play CD while navigating (unless you have remote CD changer)
RB4 has no mapping capability.

2.Make sure you're in the right state. spell street. enter #s. confirm selection. or, simply follow the instructions. It's easier than it sounds.

Both are excellent and share the same database (although in different formats). I prefer the RB1; the mapping feature is outstanding.

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mapping feature

roadrunner said:
1.RB1 can't play CD while navigating (unless you have remote CD changer)
RB4 has no mapping capability.

2.Make sure you're in the right state. spell street. enter #s. confirm selection. or, simply follow the instructions. It's easier than it sounds.

Both are excellent and share the same database (although in different formats). I prefer the RB1; the mapping feature is outstanding.

I am guessing the mapping feature shows you a map. HOw do you enter the address, does it have a keyboard the show up on the screen or something?

Thanks

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you enter destination it gives you the option to change state, city, if you do not need to change either by rotating the dial over letters of the alphabet and selecting enter you enter the street name, it may give you a list of streets with similiar names, select the one you want, then it gives you the option to enter the location number by the same means, touch in the numbers you need by rotating the dial and enter, when finished select done and it will map you to the location, All entries are by rotating a dial and punching enter,

Bob

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a guy on ebay named (no endorsment) mr cd1 who is selling them for 799.00 which is the cheapest price i have seen, I have never bought a RB1 from him but I bought several lower priced itmes and he was honest and shipped items very fast.

Bob

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
choose route?

Ok, one more question, can you map out the route you want or does it pick it for you?

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The computer maps your route, but you can put in parameters (quickest route, max freeways, avoid freeways, etc.) You can also avoid closed roads, etc. It usually gives you the best route, but not always. It does not account for traffic, detours, etc. The latest software likes to keep you on the main roads. All in all, it is generally quite good and it will get you to your destination one way or the other.

But there's another tremendous feature along those lines: If you deviatiate from your route, it will recalculate from your current position to the destination without necessarily taking you back via your previous route. So if you take a side trip, detour, or just need to turn off a busy street, it will always give you a route to your destination.

You probably know this, but it doesn't just show you; it also speaks to you -- it tells you how to get there, turn by turn; you can go off road and it can get you back to your starting point; it will give you ETA, miles to destination and a host of other data at your fingertips. It can give you gas stations, restaurants, hotels or hospitals along the way.

Here's an example of what you can expect from one of these nav radios --One night we rolled in to Scotsdale, AZ (about 400 miles away). About an hour out of town, we were asked to pick up a set of keys from a mail box about 10 pm. We were given an address but no directions. The street was unlit; no house numbers were visable in the dark. The whole area was totally unfamiliar to us. Our RB1 put us within 20 feet of that box. It's definitely one impressive piece of gear!

If you get one, I'm sure you'll find it useful.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the wife factor. I bought an RB4 from the dealer -$1400 installed (dumb, dumb, dumb). The boss said dumber dumber dumber! But, when she had to drive it into Denver, and Greta (the name we have given the slightly Teutonic voice) gave her plenty of warning for exits, even recommended left or right lanes, and brought her to within 20 feet of the address, the words I heard were "not so dumb".

I think if I had a do-over, I would prefer the mapping feature of the RB1, but the RB4 does have some advantages:
1. Once your destination is loaded, out comes the Nav CD, and in goes Pink Floyd. The RB1 DVD has to stay in while navigating.
2. I made CDR copies of the 2 Nav CDs, keep those in the KJ and keep the originals in the house. Copying the RB1's DVDs is apparently problematic.