Random Misfire Conundrum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're using regular gas that may be your problem. High octane ONLY IN THAT ENGINE.

Bud... you gotta start adding a disclaimer on comments like that, that you've been posting all over the place this week.

It worked for YOU... but is not normally recommended by the manufacturer. RTFM applies here. This is not a 'vette ZO6 engine, or a high end Cadillac... high octane has less BTU's than lower octane fuel, resists pre-ignition but also is more difficult to ignite, and in cases where high compression or forced induction is not present, will leave additional carbon deposits in the engine.

Octane, the actual chemical compound IS a long chain hydrocarbon after all.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shotgun approach it seems...

I'd be more inclined to think ignition coils.

Either which way, whatever part(s) you want to throw at it, they all can be tested off the vehicle. I'd keep that in mind.

How would one go about testing the Cam Sensor as well as the Crank Sensor? I'm thinking about ordering one or both as I've had an intermittent misfire on my '05. I figure if I can test them before ordering new ones that could possibly save me from buying something I may not need.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need an oscilloscope but I don't know what the signal parameters are.

So it will probably just be cheaper and easier to buy the parts, swap them, and see if it fixes the problem? I'll just go ahead and order the parts and install them and see if the problem goes away afterwards.