Quick Questions -- New KJ Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trail_Rated

Reaction score
Got my KJ today, an '05 Renegade in Dark Khaki. It’s awesome! Thanks to everyone that replied to my first post to clear up some misconceptions I had about the vehicle.

I bought some rear light guards for it while I was picking it up and I'm wondering if there are any similar style guards for the front fog lamps that rest on the bumper. Mopar doesn't make these and I'm not familiar with aftermarket accessories for the KJ so could someone point me in the right direction?

Also, when the dealer was demonstrating the car to me I remember him opening the rear flip-up window with the key remote but I can't seem to do it myself. Was I just seeing things? When I hit the button twice it just unlocks and pops out a bit.

dnm45227

Reaction score
You can open the flipper glass w/the keyless remote (at least on my '02). You may need to program it. You can use the EVIC to program alot of things time till lights go off, order and how many doors unlock, etc..None of which I know how to do. Mine works how I want it to so I've never played w/it. However, there is alot of friendly people here that will help you out.

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me with my flipper.... it would click like it unlocked but I would have to help it up manually. A couple of days later I noticed the gap from widow to body on the left side i could barely get my finger-tip in and the right side I could stick my whole finger in. I took it in thinking maybe it just needed adjusted but when they popped the trim off the hinge the whole hinge was snapped in two. the trim was the only thing holding it on. Check your window gaps...maybe its the same thing. Hope this helps.

As far as the fog lamp covers I am not too sure about those. I have an 04 and mine are integrated into the bumper.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
that flipper glass thing sometimes get stuck for me. usually in cold weather tho. U gotta take note, that it's not on a mechanical device, the lock just holds it from the struts, so when the locks release it, the struts just decompresses. wait a while, and see. the struts might not be lubricated enough for it to open by istelf. It could just be a case of it sitting in the lot or what not for some time. In any case, if it still does it, take it back, and have them replace the struts. as far as the FOB is concerned u can program it (i have an 02 also) via the FOB (if u dont have an EVIC) on how long it takes for the locks to release the glass. either from holding it down for a few seconds to instantly. (y'all have different FOB's so check ur manual)

as far as fog lamp covers....i guess u can just findout what the diameter is, and find something that will fit it, if not, that shouldnt be too hard to fabricate something

claudio

Reaction score
if the dealer open it with the key, may be is just a matter of how many time you have to keep the button pressed, take a look at the manual and see how you can change the time or get used to the preconfigured time.

Claudio

Trail_Rated

Reaction score
I actually got the rear window to flip up a couple times today so I thought the problem was solved but shortly after it kept getting stuck again. The struts are fine since I can open the window with the gate just fine, so I think it isn't getting completely unlatched from the lock somehow, though I can put my finger under the window to help it up once it pops out.

As for the fog lamps, since the car is a lease I can only do so much with fastening a pair of fog lamp guards. If I could however, I would like to buy just the plastic covers for the fog lamps (anyone know if those can be bought from the dealer?), paint them mineral grey (to match the wheels and rear guards) and then fasten some guards on those lamps with something other than tape maybe, otherwise I would need something that goes on as easily as the rear light guards.

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two struts should be quite powerful for opening the window, I can understand if there was only one strut and it failing, but two? As you close the flipper window, u should be able to feel the pressure of the strut pushing against your hand as it's trying try to close it.

rob

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trail_Rated said:
Also, when the dealer was demonstrating the car to me I remember him opening the rear flip-up window with the key remote but I can't seem to do it myself. Was I just seeing things? When I hit the button twice it just unlocks and pops out a bit.

It definitely should. I have an 05 renegade, and it's two clicks on the remote to open the flipper glass. I can usually do it from at least 20 ft away, and it opens all the way up every time. Note that the remote doesn't work while it's in the ignition, so if you want to open the glass while the jeep is running, you need to unlock the doors, get out, and open it from the outside.

One light pull on the handle opens the flipper glass, one strong pull opens the whole door. It's convenient to be able to open/close the glass without needing to slam the whole gate again to shut/lock it.

Since it's an 05 and you have a reproducable problem, bring that puppy right back to the dealership and make them fix it. How dare they give you a jeep with something broken on it already?? (I'm sure it's an easy fix, but still, that's what they are there for).

Hope you enjoy it!

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same problem with the sticky flip glass. It's a PIA to wedge a pinky in there to open it too. Funny tho, it worked fine for a couple of times after we had 'er washed. Maybe dirt gets in the latch mech?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.