Questionable Gas Guage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattb

Reaction score
OK here's the question--somewhere. Until about 5000 miles ago when the gas light came on I had 2.5 to 3 gallons of gas left. Normally at around 300 miles on the tank. Now, the lgiht is coming on at about 215 miles on a tank and when I fill up takes no more 11.5 to 12 gallons to fill so I have something like what 7 or so gallons left. At the same time my mileage has dropped to about 17 from low 20's. I have moved to a more interstate travel job so push 80 mph everyday to work. Probably explains the mileage drop. But back to the question in there--somewhere, has the gas guage thing happened to anyone else?

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that others with CRD's have complained about the transmission being "smart" and learning how you drive. If you start driving different it doesn't adjust so the solution is to disconnect the battery for a while and make it learn all over again. Since the Liberty has two or three computers perhaps there is logic built into many of the electronic systems and your gas gauge is remembering the old you.

mattb

Reaction score
If it has old shift point "memory" stored could effect my gas mileage a bit. I will try to reset. Thanks for the idea! I do agree that it probably isn't effecting my gas guage. I do mostly road driving so trying to remember if I could have bounced anything around in the gas tank. Not sure how it measures gas level.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess it was too much trouble for the engineers to include a digital readout with the analog guage so you'd know exactly how much gas you had in the tank. Pain in the #$% sometimes.