Question on Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jholmes

Reaction score
Quick Question Guys:

I've decided to just run my new Polk's off the head unit until I can get the wiring and amps installed, so I was wondering if anyone can help me with a quick question.

While wiring the rear speakers, I noticed the Negative/Positive speaker wires in the rear doors BOTH look like negative wires (solid with stripe on them), while the fronts have a solid wire (positive I'm assuming) and a solid with stripe wire (negative I'm assuming).

Can anyone clue me into which wire is the negative in the rear doors, and let me know if my assumption as to the front speakers are correct?

Thanks in advance!

psinsyd

Reaction score
Hey j,

What we used to do at the shop I worked as was, strip @ a 3/16" to 1/4" section of the speaker wiring's insulation on both wires. Plug the speaker in. Now, using as low voltage battery as possible (i.e. 6v, 7.2v, 9v) maybe from a cordless drill or something, touch the bare section of the wires to the negative and positive leads of the battery. If the speaker cone moves outward when you do this, then your negative and positive leads of the battery are hooked to the correct negative and positive wires. If the cone moves inward, then you know that the wires are the opposite.

I definitely recommend using your factory speakers when doing this!

Hope this helps ya out!

jholmes

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice... any advice when you've already cut the leads and dont have enough wire to strip and do the above tests?! ](*,)

Thanks!

psinsyd

Reaction score
jholmes said:
Thanks for the advice... any advice when you've already cut the leads and dont have enough wire to strip and do the above tests?! ](*,)

Thanks!

Do you have any wire laying around so you could extend the wires coming from the door? I would use any wire for the testing, and then once you've determined which wire is positve and which is negative, I would solder a bit of speaker wire to the ends of the factory wiring to give you a bit of slack to work with.

Basically, extend the KJ's wiring, hook up the factory speaker, and perform testing.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

psinsyd

Reaction score
Hey j,

Here is a link to a good site for installation help. This link has the wiring colors for stereo and alarm wiring for the KJ. I picked 2002 for the model year in this one, but let me know if the colors are different. Problem is though, on the diagram, it doesn't clearly state which is pos and which is neg! ](*,) :-s

psinsyd

Reaction score
psinsyd said:
Hey j,

Here is a link to a good site for installation help. This link has the wiring colors for stereo and alarm wiring for the KJ. I picked 2002 for the model year in this one, but let me know if the colors are different. Problem is though, on the diagram, it doesn't clearly state which is pos and which is neg! ](*,) :-s

I just looked over this link again, and it looks as if your wires are as follows:

Left Rear: Brown/Yellow is negative.
Right Rear: Blue/White is negative.

At the very top of the list shows the column titles...even though they don't really line up well.

Let me know if this works out for ya!

=D>

LI_Egabrag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well considering i JUST put in new speakers (rockford fosgates though) this morning i can tell you that the wires are actually not the same. There are two wires (which we already know) and they are tan/black and tan/dark purple. It took me a few mins to see which was what, but the black stripe one is the (-) and the purple is the(+). Shine a light on them you should be able to see the difference. If you still have a problem send me a PM and i have a wiring diagram sent directly from CRUTCHFIELD on what is what.

Latest posts

Members online