Question on tow hooks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zenjeepster

Reaction score
I just bought an '03 Renegade to replace my totaled '04 Columbia. On the Columbia I had a westin grille guard which I liked a lot. I know it's not compatible with the front tow hooks on a renny. Does anyone know if I removed the tow hooks would the hardware match up? Ultimately I would prefer replacing the whole bumper with a rock lizard or rocky road but $ is tight for now. Just starting to run some ideas on mods for the renny other than immedaitely getting bigger tires. By the way this forum is fantastic, y'all really know your stuff and have some nice KJ's:D

'04 Columbia; Westin grille guard, some chrome, Renegade light bar, etc.

'03 Renegade; Took off the running boards before I go near the woods, lots
lots of planning for when the moeny rolls in.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
OK so let me get this straight, you're going to remove the tow hooks and you just want to know if the grille guard will fit? The grille guard mounts where the tow hooks (would) go, right? If so and you've got the mounts for the KJ the answer is yes...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you removed the hooks, the grill guard should fit.

Sorry to hear about your Columbia....

Zenjeepster

Reaction score
Thanks Marlon & wjkj, I know it's kind of a no brainer but I thought there may have been a difference in the bumper other than cosmetic between a columbia and a renegade. I just went to the car lot & crawled under a sport and my renegade and it looks like as you both said no problem. My renegade is still at the car lot until I receive the insurance claim check from the property damage case on the columbia so I didn't have access to go outside and crawl under for an immediate answer. Hopefully the check will arrive today and I'll be bringing the new Jeep home instead of having to dirve ten mintues everytime I want to check something or go through kj withdrawl. I'm still really undecided on all the mods I want to do eventually to the renegade, money will be very tight unitl I can return to work and get the money from the personal injury suit. If I get a decnt amount on that case the skies the limit for mods. In a perfect world I'd like to keep the renegade close to as is, as an everyday vehicle and find another kj to really customize nicely, but who knows too early to tell and I couldn't dream of turning a wrench or even driving off road until my injuries heal a bit more.

Thanks again guys.

dlancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you mend quickly and get back to doing the things you love. I broke my right ankle about a week after I bought my 03 Renegade back in January and it drove me crazy not being able to drive it four about four weeks. Post some pics up of your new ride when you get it.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry about the wreck ,that *****
now I am sure that the grill guard will fit but I can not get past the reasoning behind doing this
you said that you "took off the running boards before you go near the woods"
this is a great idea
but removing a functional recovery point for something that should it get hit will do more harm than good and if you get stuck will do you no good
is a thought process that I can not understand
I see people do it all the time and it blows my mind
our KJ ,for some unknown reason, came with skids and 4wd but no tow hooks
what the heck is the point you can not go off road in any thing with 4wd with out tow hooks so why would Jeep ,the "off road leader", sell this Jeep?
sorry about the quick rant
I just get tired of the "we are Jeep and we are off road" when they sell the crap out of 2wd Wranglers ,and even some of them have tow hooks

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
sorry about the wreck ,that *****
now I am sure that the grill guard will fit but I can not get past the reasoning behind doing this
you said that you "took off the running boards before you go near the woods"
this is a great idea
but removing a functional recovery point for something that should it get hit will do more harm than good and if you get stuck will do you no good
is a thought process that I can not understand
I see people do it all the time and it blows my mind
our KJ ,for some unknown reason, came with skids and 4wd but no tow hooks
what the heck is the point you can not go off road in any thing with 4wd with out tow hooks so why would Jeep ,the "off road leader", sell this Jeep?
sorry about the quick rant
I just get tired of the "we are Jeep and we are off road" when they sell the crap out of 2wd Wranglers ,and even some of them have tow hooks

I couldn't agree more. I think ALL Jeep 4x4's shout of come from the factory with skids and hooks.

And MOST of the 4x2 JK's have hooks......at least near me...

Zenjeepster

Reaction score
Wjkj; New renegade balck, old columbia black just a coincidence. dlancer, thanks will post new pics soon. Jthompson, I knew this would come up and I agree. I didn't have tow hooks on the columbia and I never really did serious rock crawing with it. Life caught up with me and the mods stalled out on the old jeep at only a light bar, bigger tires, some chrome and the grill guard. I'd like to do it different this time and it would probably make tons more sense to wait until I have the money to get an arb bumper or do other mods until then. In the end, depending on the amount of cash I get in the personal injury suit, I would like to have it fixed up to be a little more off road capable but still handle okay on roads. It will be my everyday vehicle unless there is a nice settlement amount and I can a get a second kj or a different everyday vehicle. Check for property damage suit came Saturday not earlier as expected, so I will be picking up renegade tomorrow. Thanks for all the input guys.

Last edited: