question about my breaks!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LI_Egabrag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello out there!
Well I'm new here (just picked up my truck about 3 weeks ago). I bought a 2003 Renegade and I LOVE IT!! I went from a 2001 Cavalier to this and its freakin' sweet!! Well anyway to get to the point, when i first got it I noticed an HUGE amount of breakdust on my rims. Thinking that maybe the dealer put new breaks on it i blew it off. After a few days my breaks started to squeak. This could have been from the build up of dust...so i cleaned the truck...and it seemed to have gone away. Well not to much longer after i cleaned it the squeak has returned and returned. And it seems to come back faster..at first it was like 3 days..not its only a few hours after i wash it that it comes back! Is there anything i can do to stop the sound? Or should i just go and yell at the dealer?? LOL

Thanks In Advance!!

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I would wonder how many miles were on it, how long had it been sitting, how much have you driven since you got it?

There could have been corrosion on the disks and it is just taking some time to rub off. If you think there really is a problem I know that I have some good tire shops around here that also do brakes and I am pretty sure they would look at them for me for next to nothing and give me an opinion if there was a problem. It was used though and unless you bought an extended warranty or had some other understanding with the dealer you probably got it "as is".

2003KJ

Reaction score
First off, take it to a shop you trust and have the mechanic varify that they still have plenty of life left in them, and that they're not squeeling cause they're worn out.

If they have plenty left in them, chances are you're gonna have to live with it untill you replace them, and they're repalced properly. Alot of places will take the pads off and apply some "anti squeel" goo to shut them up. Had this been done properly in the first place, you wouldn't hear them, b/c usually by the time you leave the parking lot from getting them "relubed" they're back to squeeling as the goo has worn off.

I wore my orig. pads out, front and back, by about 27K. I went to the mountains a few times, to the beach and back, including driving on the beach (see avatar), and alot of highway miles seeing some friends of mine that live about an hour and a half away. Not bad for a two ton automatic brick.

Ohh and (welcome) to the family! \:D/

LI_Egabrag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, yeah im ******** and can't spell #-o ! But thanks for the info i got a good mechanic im friends with so ill just have him take a look at them for me. I just wanted some input before i go putting on new pads or something. Thanks

Renegade Flex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-=JoN=- said:
How many miles u got on it?

and Welcome aboard fellow NY'ker

Another NYer yeaa \:D/

Although I'm a touch closer to you than Jon.

I've been having some troubles with my rear brakes as of late and I just had them replaced at 21K for $270 (whistle) .

Just this morning I was noticing some squeeling but it seemed to go away once the car got warmed up. (didnt mean to hijack ur brake thread)

LI_Egabrag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet! its nice to see other New Yorkers!! I think i might have even seen your truck Renegade Flex! I just wish i could find somewhere around here to use the four wheel drive!! If you guys got some spots definetly tell me.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
there are some areas out there in the island. did a run a few years ago out in montauk (see figure 1.1)

Figure 1.1
You must be registered for see images

there was another that a few LOST guys went to out by Commack. I wasnt able to go due to work....

we do some meet and greets everynow and then......

LI_Egabrag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet thanks JON. Yeah ive heard of the place in commack, and of course going to montauk is always a cool trip anyway. Oh and im having that guy check my brakes tomarrow, so i will keep you posted on what he finds when he takes my rim off!

Renegade Flex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive seen some cool looking trails on the side of the service road of the LIE i think by exit 55-56. Looks like ATV and dirt bike stuff but Ive always dreamed of what it would be like to hop up on those bad boys... drive.gif

Latest posts

Members online