Question About Lowering My '02

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatriotBlue02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this has been asked before, I'm sorry -- i DID do a search before posting though.... :-k

OK after reading the info on the rollover of the early '02's and because I'm still used to being able to take an interstate onramp at 60+ in the Firebird I had... I wanna lower my Libby! Read about Startech & looked at Belltech but they didnt have anything for Libby's..... does anyone have any suggestions? Was told that just some new springs and shocks might do the trick in itself. I have 16" wheels on it & was told that I could bring her down a cpl of inches with new springs and make the wheels look better by closing some of the gap between them & the qtr panel.

Any ideas? Thanks! :)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You're not going to find much about lowering on a Jeep site.

There's nothing wrong with the Libby. '02 or '05 It's no more susceptible to rollover than any other comparable SUV.

However, the only way to prevent rollover in ANY vehicle is NOT to go past its limits.

SUVs aren't supposed to be maneuverable and fast. Just slow down. Be patient. Adjustment can be made quick.

With that, I have no information about lowering kits.

PatriotBlue02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey whoaaaaa.... didnt mean to step on a toe or anything -- & didnt say anything was WRONG with any yr Libby. I just know myself and dont want to do something dumb (like loving the go-pedal too much), and hurt it or me either.

Maybe it was the LOST board or soemthing, but I KNOW I saw a thread about lowering the Libby, guess I better just go searching. Sorry.

found it -- it WAS the other board, and what do ya know -- dude didnt get killed for asking the question.. hmm: http://p087.ezboard.com/fkjjeepfrm4.showMessage?topicID=62.topic

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Not killing you. =P~ Just sounded (to me) like you wanted to lower it to go faster.

Hey, I'm a big do what you wish with your Jeep guy. Look around the board. I'm sure it'll look good stock, tall or short! \:D/

Just a warning: If you lower it, your tires may start to rub. If you have the 215s, you have a little bit of ways to go. The 235s however, may start rubbing with just the tiny bit. This is just a possibility.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Hi PatBlue, and welcome aboard JeepKJ.com

lowering it pretty much defeats the purpose of getting something like a jeep. (not saying u shouldnt, but, just putting in MO)

I know how you feel about takin them fast turns, and such, having driven cars prior to the jeep, i do miss taking exit ramps faster, and taking turns like i was doing the corkscrew at laguna seca.....LoL..
in any case, before you think about lowering her, or modding her suspension, think about changing the stock rubbers. them bad years just handle really bad period (wet or dry)
i just got rid of mine and w/ the new meats, i can take turns a bit faster (still not car terriotry) but, not just that, she just feels A LOT MORE stabler than before. (yes yes, time to pimp my new meats AGAIN)

dunno how long you've had the KJ, but in any case, it does get a little getting used to. (my friends and relatives hate me wheni drive their cars, since most own sedans or what not, I drive really un esuvee like, my uncled made the mistake of letting me drive his 2 month old 05 accord, lets just say i havnt been given the keys again. LoL )

(link to my initial impressions on the said new-ish tires.....
http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1491)

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey PatriotBlue02,

I have a set of spring off my 2003 from when I lifted it. They are the lowered springs so they sit about an inch lower than the the 2002. I am trying to get rid of them. You can have them for free if you are intrested.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
PatriotBlue02 said:
Hey whoaaaaa.... didnt mean to step on a toe or anything -- & didnt say anything was WRONG with any yr Libby. I just know myself and dont want to do something dumb (like loving the go-pedal too much), and hurt it or me either.

Maybe it was the LOST board or soemthing, but I KNOW I saw a thread about lowering the Libby, guess I better just go searching. Sorry.

found it -- it WAS the other board, and what do ya know -- dude didnt get killed for asking the question.. hmm: http://p087.ezboard.com/fkjjeepfrm4.showMessage?topicID=62.topic

Marlon!!! [-X be nice to the new people. This is the second time.

Well ok, you've got some options.

One being, cutting the spring... It's do-able, but I really don't recommend it.

Second, you may be able to find a lower spring from another lowering kit. I don't know any off hand, but you could just call some spring manufactures or email them to find out what would work.

Bennett

2003KJ

Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
There's nothing wrong with the Libby. '02 or '05 It's no more susceptible to rollover than any other comparable SUV.

I disagree COMPLETELY with that statement. The higher a vehicle (regardless of if it is an inch or two) the higher rollover chances you have. The whole law of gravity kicks in here. Early 02's are referred to as "prelowered" b/c people ******* and called them "crotch busters" when they first came out. So Chrysler lowered them. If youre 02 is early enough it probably is pre lowered (looks like it is from the pics). If you could, next time youre getting in or out of it, look at that white sticker on the drivers door jam and see what the build date is. Should have the month followed by the year (ex. april of 02 would read 04-02). Also if you want to, look down towards the bottom of that sticker for "MDH" thats the Month Day and Hour your Jeep was put together. If you need any help finding these numbers by all means let us know and i can prolly run out and snap a pic of mine.

PatriotBlue02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thank you all for your input! Yes, mine definately is pre-lowered (birthdate prior to 4-02). After reading what I wrote, i can see how maybe it was misunderstood. So let me explain --- it IS a huge change to drive a Libby instead of a Firebird as far as it feeling more "top-heavy" -- BUT, believe it or not, I like driving the Libby BETTER. Why? Well, I'm not sitting ON the ground anymore (lol), every little bump doesnt jar the whole car really bad, and heck -- I actually jumped a curb yesterday (LMBO), imagine that ina Firebird! I'd still be see-sawing trying to get over the hump!

So, my reasoning is -- it (kinda), scares me just a little. Well, I know I will get used to it eventually -- but right now its just that its new to me. I know what you mean about it kind of defeats the purpose of getting an SUV, but you also need to stop and think that I didnt get an SUV for the same reasons everyone else did. Mine is just a 4x2 -- I got it mainly for the room, but I also got a SWEET deal on it $$$, and let face it -- its just adorable! =P~

And lastly -- I sent a pm back to you about your old springs -- thats soooooooo nice of you to offer them to me! Wow! I had no idea you all would be so nice to me over here -- kinda was worried since I dont really offroad my Libby, thought I wouldnt "fit-in". :)

p.s. I agree with the tires.... they are on the list to GO -- ;)

2003KJ

Reaction score
Mine is just a 4x2

Lets get something straight here. There's no such thing as just a 4x2. 4x2's are plenty capeable as they are. Plus you could put a locker in the rear and really be amazed at what she can do.

And whether or not you wheel your jeep you fit in on this site. Only requirements are that you have a KJ (or atleast owned one in the past, or even in some cases know somebody who does (girlfriend, mom or somebody)...lol. Mine gets wheeled MAYBE once every couple months...lol.

You'll find some very friendly people over here. It's like a family! \:D/

PatriotBlue02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK one more dumb question .... I know that after 4-02 Jeep lowered the KJ's about an inch. I found a kit made by Eibach (supposed to be really good), that will lower it 1.5 on both front and back. I have 16 in wheels on there so I don't think it would rub, but I will research more to find out for sure. Here is my question -- does anyone know a reason to think that I would be better off with the Eibach kit rather than the one that came ones that came on the lowered KJ's? Like does the Eibach's offer something extra maybe or is there a certain reason that people dont generally use used springs -- and please dont think I'm being weird, i honestly dont know.

Its great to have such a resource of people with experience! Thanks!!

here's a link to the Eibach Pro-Kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=7984095328&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

~*~ Leandra ~*~

2003KJ

Reaction score
I'm not sure if 04-02 was the date that they switched the springs, I just threw a random number out there earlier...lol

PatriotBlue02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
I'm not sure if 04-02 was the date that they switched the springs, I just threw a random number out there earlier...lol

No, it was April of O2 -- i found that on the Jeep site. ;) Nice guess then!

2003KJ

Reaction score
PatriotBlue02 said:
2003KJ said:

No, it was April of O2 -- i found that on the Jeep site. ;) Nice guess then!

oh wow cool!...lol

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure if you decide to get rid of of pre April 02 suspension bits, you'll be a popular guy. Heck, somebody may even offer to do the work just to get the parts.

PatriotBlue02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh wow I never thought about it like that -- guess it makes sense since most of you want to RAISE yours and I'm doing the opposite! I sure as heck wish i COULD find someone who would help me out with the labor! Just so I dont get ripped off though, whats labor usually run for a job like that anyway?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
someone from another forum has those eibachs, he said they are really good, tho, he used it w/ a lift kit....if I remember correctly.

highly doubt i can dig up that thread, but i'll try anyway

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
styng88 said:
I'm sure if you decide to get rid of of pre April 02 suspension bits, you'll be a popular person. Heck, somebody may even offer to do the work just to get the parts.

Sorry, I should been more attentive to your signature.

2003KJ

Reaction score
not qutie sure on the labor charges but you could get some decent $$$ off selling the old springs (could be used to balance out the cost of lowering it).