Proud new owner! Kind of...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. My names Everette and I just bought my first jeep. 2003 KJ Sport with 130xxx miles. I've been pretty big into the car scene but as I get older I am finding I need to have something other than a sports car to drive everyday. My other ride is a 2015 Mustang that's currently getting body work done (someone backed into it for me...) and I drive a dying 2000 XJ that turned me onto jeeps in general. I really wanted another XJ but here in Toledo they are big money. Rust buckets with in poor condition sell for 2-2.5K all day long. I was hanging out with some friends and one of them mentioned their sister was selling this jeep. I have never been one to really think overly fond of the Liberty, but they were asking near the same price as what busted XJ's were going for so I started to do a bit of research and eventually made my purchase.

The Good: Interior is damn near perfect minus the slight staining on the front seats. Its 4x4 and also a 5spd. I think that's about it....

The Bad: Who ever this family employed to work on their vehicles needs a swift kick in the dick. The motor mounts.... One just has a bolt (no nut) going through it and the other has about 3" of thread between where the nut should be and where it actually sits. Motor clunks around like a ****. The slave cylinder has a stud snapped off and is not really all the way secured into the trans... also a backed out nut. The dif leaks at the forward seal. The ac compressor has been removed and in its place is just a bracket and a pulley. Come to find out ALL the brakes are shot. He told me the front brakes were brand new and after driving it I could smell a terrible burning brake smell. I chocked it up to a dragging shoe in the rear rotor as he said the parking brake barely worked (it really didn't even barely work). I actually just replaced the rear calipers, pads, rotors and parking brake shoes today. Then still had that burning smell... Joyous day! It was the front driver side that it is coming from so now I'm about to do the same triage for the front. It leaks coolant, I think from the reservoir itself. The valve cover gaskets both leak. And nobody knew the last time it had new spark plugs. Also one of the downstream 02 sensors was shot (i bought both) and the crank position sensor is also on its way out. Rust above the hatch and on both rocker panels. And that about wraps it up.

Whats Next: I have new motor mount bolts on order from chrysler, and intend to fix the slave cylinder at the same time (I should add it shifts perfectly fine...). After I post this ill be heading to Rock auto to get my next bevy of brake goods. Next week I'm taking care of the coolant reservoir, valve cover gaskets, and plugs. Also going to do a seafoam treatment. Over the next few months I intend to replace all the engine mounts entirely. Think I am going to get an OME lift and shop around for some soft 8's. Coming out of winter I want to take care of the rust, most likely with bedliner (including the roof) and add some lights, and a bull bar. Then just drive the hell out of it.

I've spent a LOT of time lurking here and feel like I am well prepared for KJ ownership. Can't thank everyone here enough for your wealth of knowledge. Hopefully after some time Ill be able to give back but I think with a decade old platform my chances may be a bit bleak ;) Look forward to chatting with all of you and if anyone has any pointers that may not be so obvious for the new guy I am all ears. Thanks for reading!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome
Just moved from the Toledo area about a year ago.
late to the game we used to have almost monthly M&Gs at my place with a lot of various Jeeps but mostly lifted KJs ( Libertys)
Was in Toledo for 5 years then Swanton for 4 before I moved
If you need a great alignment check out Larry Stuarts Car Care
3082 Airport Hwy, Toledo, OH 43609
(419) 389-0707
They did all of the ones that were lifted at my place and never had any problems . Just tell em Tom with the lifted black KJ sent ya :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Everette. Enjoy the forum and your Jeep.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online