Proper Wheel Size for 02 Sport w/o lift?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshy0077

Reaction score
Hi there folks,

So I'm looking at getting a new set of rims/tires for the libby, definately going with the Dueler A/T Revos, but am confused about what size Rim to get. I was looking at a set of 16x8" Mickey Thompson's with -12.00mm offset, 4" backspacing, however the rep at Tirerack.com said if I put -12.00mm offsets on my jeep I would experience some major rubbing unless I did extensive modification to the wheel wells. So, now I'm back to the drawing board on what size rims to buy, mainly just confused on the offset. I know the stock offset is +38mm (or +41mm as some have said) but I'm not sure what the acceptable range is...can I get away with a +12.00mm offset? Tirerack rep suggested 255/70/16 tires for a 16x8" rim, so that's probably what I'll get. Just need help with this wheel sizing...

Thanks guys!

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock backspacing is 5.5 inches stock. 5 inch backspacing is very popular (same as the Rubicon) and 4.5 inches has been used. The 255/70 may just barely fit, but during full lock reversing or if you hit a decent bump during a tight turn you'll hit I bet. 245/70 is always a safe bet, my CRD just barely clears up front during a bump up front with the stock wheels.