Problems with my KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got a P0442 code few months ago, so I tightened the gas cap and pulled the neg. battery terminal. Came back and decided to buy a gas cap. Long story short, I ended up replacing the spark plugs and negative battery terminal (cracked and corroded). When I pulled the last plug (pass. side, near coolant tank) I found it was covered in fuel. Meaning that cylinder is running rich. What could be causing this? Light is still on, I also noticed my muffler is leaking, so I need a new one.

Here is my list so far:
Flowmaster Super 44
Flowmaster Super 40
Flowmaster Super 50
Cherry Bomb Pro

Also I have another question, all KJ 2003+ don't have a cat before the muffler, when I install the new muffler would it be okay to cut it off. I'm thinking it might be clogged?

t_bois

Reaction score
Federal law says NO on cutting the CAT off (that's between you and Feds) plus if you have an emissions program in your state, you will not pass without a CAT.

There is a long warrenty on most CATs, so call a couple of dealers for warrenty information if you think the CAT is bad.

Run the motor for 1/2 hour on the hi-way or around town and then re-check the sparkplug. Could be the old spark plug was the problem; could also be a plug wire, ignition problem, injector problem, or worse case a compression problem.

Flowmaster is way better then a Cherry Bomb. I'm not sure I'd go with the least restrictive one as they are very efficent. More noise does not mean more performance on a stock motor.

Got a service manual? If not, I'd get a good factory manual from EBay or... If you find a deal on one for an 06, let me know. Infact, you may want to do a post as there may be others that want one.

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ What he said.

Also, it's very possible the cat is bad given the problem of the rich cylinder.