Problems after my shit solenoid replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My shift solenoid was replaced and since then, it has a odd problem. It shifts gear just fine, but when i come to a complete stop it doesn't go forward.

It feels like gear is at park.

What could the problem be? Btw transmission fluid was put in and it was done at the dealer.

That title fail lol. I meant to say shift.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok lets get some more info please. How many miles on transmission?
You replaced the solenoid or dealer did?
You changed the solenoid, and hopefully did a complete code scan on the transmission first, what were the codes?
If the dealer did all of this,take it back to them and ask WTF re-scan codes & now what?
When u stop, and step on gas, does it surge then shift or goes clunk, or nothing at all sometimes?

Last edited:

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Srry i shouldve made it clearer.

Assuming transmission was never replaced, its 2005 with 107k miles.
Dealer changed solenoid and transmission fluid based on error code found.

When i come to a stop and go forward, i can hear engine sound as i step on pedal (imagine vehicle on park gear and stepping on pedal) and a couple seconds later, it drives just fine. It ONLY happens on my first stop

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill probably just take it back to the dealer. I was just curious why. As far as i was informed, replacing solenoid should've cleared problems like this.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for reply.
Ok first off the 42Rle transmission aint the brightest on the block & they tend to be a bit sloppy in shifting back into 1st when hot and trying to get going from a stop when cold.
Some say normal, I say its a 42RLE "Jeep Thing"
If yours is only doing it on the first stop, it is an indication that the lower fluid pressure when cold, is a bit of an issue.
I have also experienced it taking a few seconds to get the F going from a stop when cold, especially off level surfaces.
What do I do now? Let it warm up first to above the 1/4 mark on temp gauge, before driving off.
Secondly, check the fluid dipstick level when Hot after driving 20 minutes (In Neutral) hand brake used, or block it, on a level surface.
I found that being a bit above the full line on dipstick helps in overall shifting.

As far as dealer sure let em check it over and see if they can find something.
Also if you can get them to scan it again, done under their warranty, Post any codes back here.

Last edited:

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reply.
Ok first off the 42Rle transmission aint the brightest on the block & they tend to be a bit sloppy in shifting back into 1st when hot and trying to get going from a stop when cold.
Some say normal, I say its a 42RLE "Jeep Thing"
If yours is only doing it on the first stop, it is an indication that the lower fluid pressure when cold, is a bit of an issue.
I have also experienced it taking a few seconds to get the F going from a stop when cold, especially off level surfaces.
What do I do now? Let it warm up first to above the 1/4 mark on temp gauge, before driving off.
Secondly, check the fluid dipstick level when Hot after driving 20 minutes (In Neutral) hand brake used, or block it, on a level surface.
I found that being a bit above the full line on dipstick helps in overall shifting.

As far as dealer sure let em check it over and see if they can find something.
Also if you can get them to scan it again, done under their warranty, Post any codes back here.

I did what you told me to try: warm it up to 1/4 on temp gauge before driving. It drives just fine. I will just take it to the dealer another time. Too lazy for that.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you check the dipstick fluid level, as mentioned above by chance?
Important that you do. Often you may have to add a bit more ATF+4.
Since it was serviced by dealer, hopefully they got it right, but ya never know until you do check it. :gr_grin:

Latest posts

Members online