Powertrax Locker Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

youknowwhoibee

Reaction score
I am contemplating buying the powertrax locker. I have a 4x2 Jeep, and love it. But i need better traction in the snow. Is it true that my 4x2 Jeep will handle just as well as a 4x4 stock Jeep in snow? I am questioning the weight balance... Both rear wheels will rotate but it doesnt have much weigh back there. So i am missing the drive wheel used in the front.

I am thinking about this locker or trading in my Jeep. I want to start hitting the trails and trying to make this thing capable of hanging with the 4x4 :) Or i have to trade it in, probably take a 2k loss and buy a 4x4 jeep... decisions... decisions.

Discuss.

Oh and anyone in or around MD that may be able to help installing this contact me. I am willing to pay you for your help. I am planning on buying it this week. If I can get just a little more info about it, i would be more confident.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, a 4x2 would not do as good in snow or offroad with a locker as a stock 4x4. You would notice a big improvement though. O:)

The low range is the best thing with the 4x4. I could never go places that I do without it. O:)

youknowwhoibee

Reaction score
Quick run down...

Bought Jeep in October, and i still owe 11k
Trade in a presume is 8-9k
So i will take a 2k loss if i trade it in for a new 4x4 vehicle

Or i spend 500 on a powertrax and hope it will get me through the snow safely and let me pass through some intermediate trails.

2k vs. 500... im honestly torn. I dont wanna be out by 2500, if i buy the locker and it *****. But i do wanna keep my jeep not to lose out on anything.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
I was under the impression that snow driving is more DIFFICULT with a locker, especially in turns?

I remember having to be careful in my old Ranger that had trac-loc. In 2WD anyway, in turns if you were careful and it slipped, the rear end would just float around since both wheels were spinning. 4WD was another story though, it went anywhere.

Two things high on my list though for mine are a good set of tires and a rear locker/lsd of some sort, would be a world of difference

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
I was under the impression that snow driving is more DIFFICULT with a locker, especially in turns?

A locker will help you from getting stuck, but you will slide around more.

It all depends on how much snow you typically see. If you live in a place that typically gets no more than 6" of snow fall in one instance, then you are probably better leaving it open. With 6" and less of snow, most people are more worried about sliding around then getting stuck. If you frequently accumulate more than 12" of snow, then getting stuck becomes a real possibility and a locker will definitely help.

A locked 4x2 is alot better than a un-locked 4x2. But it will never perform as well as a 4x4. Low range makes a huge difference when you are trying to creep over obstacles.

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
youknowwhoibee said:
Quick run down...

Or i spend 500 on a powertrax and hope it will get me through the snow safely and let me pass through some intermediate trails.

2k vs. 500... im honestly torn. I dont wanna be out by 2500, if i buy the locker and it *****. But i do wanna keep my jeep not to lose out on anything.

What were you thinking when you bought it???
Bite the bullet and trade in! Despite any mods you do to yours it it will still be a 2wd.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
KJ04 said:
youknowwhoibee said:
Quick run down...

What were you thinking when you bought it???
Bite the bullet and trade in! Despite any mods you do to yours it it will still be a 2wd.

Agree 100%.

From what you said, you bought a 2wd when you really wanted a 4wd. Expensive mistake. Do some research as to EXACTLY what you want (options, etc) and then start looking and you will find the right one FOR YOU.

Dave

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trade for a 4x4. You will be amazed at how well even a stock KJ does in the snow.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in an area where we get lots of snow. I have the 4x4 and have already been stuck in the snow twice. From my own experience I have found that the biggest limiting factor in deeper snow is ground clearance. I have never been stuck in shallow snow. But snow that is deeper can pose a challenge because the undercarrage begins to drag the jeep down, the tires dig in and you essentially become high centered.

For me the locker or LSD is inticing because it can eliminate the dreaded wheel spin that is common in low traction situations. I have yet to install but do plan to because I just don't like getting stuck. In a low or no traction situation if you have a 4x2 and you lose traction on 1 wheel you lose traction on both. On a 4x4 if you lose traction on 1 wheel in the rear and 1 wheel in the front you lose traction on all 4. A 4x2 with a locker you will have to lose traction on both tires to lose all traction so it is equivalent to a 4x4 with no locker or LSD from a traction perspective in very slippery conditions. However, in conditions that are 'partially slippery' the 4x4 works better as all 4 tires can be engaged to aid in traction.

So bottom line is a 4x4 will always be better than a 4x2 with locker because it has greater potential for traction. However if you bought the locker for the 4x2 perhaps you can reuse it if you decide to go with a 4x4 later. O:)

meh_kick

Reaction score
Worst case scenario, you install a locker and decide to upgrade to 4X4 w/o a locker, you're out $2500 (based on your estimates).

Best case scenario, upgrade to 4x4 and THEN install the locker. You're again out $2500 but you have a tank of a vehicle that will conquer virtually all traction obstacles.

My choice is for the latter...

Griz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't spend the $$ on 2x4 thinking it will do as well as a 4x4 in the snow. A locker in the back of a 2 wheel drive in the snow or ice will break traction more easily, be worse when cornering and NOT as effective as a 4x4.

IMO - Sell or trade it for a 4x4 and be better off all around.

If trading it in - Don't say it is 2 wheel drive. The dealer where I bought my Liberty had several, I looked at all of them, one was a 2 wheel drive - They didn't even know it - they thought it was a 4x4.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Griz said:
...one was a 2 wheel drive - They didn't even know it - they thought it was a 4x4.

Gotta love it when the dealers don't even know important details of the vehicles they're selling!

jpm