Power window motor or regulator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abarkl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The driver's door power window motor in my 2002 has started making a ratcheting noise when the window reaches the top (closed position). It's both startling and annoying when I don't remember that it's going to happen.
My shop service manuals don't have a diagnosis table but mention that if the motor is replaced the regulator has to be replaced as they are integrated?
One thing is for sure, I'm not using after market parts!

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problems with my 05 within a month after we got it. The dealer replaced the window motor, becuase it has a plastic gear on the end of it that runs the belt in the window regulator. The dealer also told me that these are somewhat weak, and to spray some WD 40 on the window channels often. It used to go click click click when you put it up, so I would say that is the same problem you have. Sounds like you will need the window motor at a minimum, and possibly the regulator belt?

Good luck.

abarkl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the motor/regulator assembly on my '02 today in about an hour. Works like new!
It would have been nice to have a third hand to hold the window in the full up position which must be done to get the old part out and the new one in.