Possible engine swap on 05 liberty renegade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramagucci

Reaction score
Alright, so I've got a 2005 Liberty Renegade with the 3.7, and it's got the 42RLE transmission. I was looking into an engine swap so I could toy with it and saw that a 4.7 V8 from a Ram would fit perfectly, but I saw nothing about if it needed a certain transmission, like 45RFE (I believe is what it was) but I can't find anything talking about if it was done at all, or is capable without a transmission swap as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many dream of the 4.7 swap but in reality it’s very difficult. For the most part the 3.7 & 4.7 are the same engine except for two cylinders, same bellhousing bolt pattern. Problem comes down to how to wire the engine, none of the Liberty computers will adapt to run the V8, you’d have to gut everything rewire and reprogram. Out of the many threads talking about doing with swap maybe only 2 or 3 actually finish it. And I’m not sure about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think a 42rle could handle the 4.7l. Putting a 45rfe in to your 2005 would be too much hassle if at all possible. Easiest would be swapping to a manual transmission. I have no idea if that could be done. I've never heard of anybody going from auto to manual.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't think you gain much as far as torque or HP for all the effort. The 4.7L is just a 2 cylinder and 1 liter larger Powerturd.

Ramagucci

Reaction score
I've seen nothing saying whether or not the rle would And to be honest i was originally looking into supercharging/turbocharging but i know if i were to keep the 3.7 i would need forged pistons, and if thats the case id rather just try to put a v8 of the same size in.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I've got a 2005 Liberty Renegade with the 3.7, and it's got the 42RLE transmission. I was looking into an engine swap so I could toy with it and saw that a 4.7 V8 from a Ram would fit perfectly, but I saw nothing about if it needed a certain transmission, like 45RFE (I believe is what it was) but I can't find anything talking about if it was done at all, or is capable without a transmission swap as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just to see if we can send another one down the rabbit hole with no return...contact hotwireauto.com, they can make the adapter harness you'll need and at least program (if not outright supply) the PCM you will need. You will have to custom fab engine mounts. Since the RFE is a stock trans in a Libby all you need is the factory trans mount. You WILL need the RFE, as the 42RLE is a low power transaxle turned sideways (because some idiot thought that was a good idea to save money) and you will blow it apart in short order with a V8. Custom exhaust from factory manifolds (since nothing else will fit). You will have to sort the cooling system well, since there will be less room in front of the accessory drive for electric and/or clutch fans (probably pretty much negates the HD cooling system). If by some miracle you get it all functioning, you will have a V8 with a whopping 20hp/60ft/lbs than your stock 3.7. When they birthed the 3.7 from the 4.7, to help offset some of the power loss they increased the stroke. So unless you intend to hot rod the 4.7 (absolutely pathetic market for 4.7 speed parts) it just isn't worth it unless you're just looking for the notoriety of "ooooh look at me I have a V8 Liberty" lol.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody does this swap with GC or commanders and the engine bay was designed for these engines.
On the WK and XK there are so many modules and computers to adapt to a new engine or drive train it keeps any kind of upgrade swaps from being viable.
The old days of XJ and ZJ, if you could make the engine fit there was a way to get it to work. Modern electronics and proprietary dealership software make these kind of projects less feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My neighbor growing up used to cram V8's in late 70's and early 80's Wranglers. I wanted one that he had tricked out with a 4 barrel carburetor, lift, 31 inch tires, loud exhaust and 4-speed manual. He always teased my dad that he would sell it to me for my first car. Instead I got a 5-speed '89 4-cylinder Dodge Dakota. Damn thing would barely get out of its own way.

Honestly, I would think it would be easier to to get an old lifted Chevy or Ford pick-up with a V8. That way if you damaged it on a trail you would not mess up your daily driver.