Pop noise when cornering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ky_man

Reaction score
Related to my previous post - In my '06 KJ I occasionally hear a 'pop' noise when cornering. I only hear the noise when turning close to full lock and/or braking into a sharp corner.

Question: Is this normal? Seems like a strut bearing could be going bad. I only have 30K on the car so I doubt this.

Thanks!

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check out the stabilizer bar. those rubber bushings shrink in the winter and it might be moving around. i have a similar noise going on in very low speed turns / parking maneuvers. i have quick disconnects and i know those are making the sound, so i just thought it might be a similar situation.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Jeepster-- a pop or popping noise when cornering is usually some kind of bearing or ball joint issue. I would think more a bearing, but I'll let others chime in.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check out the stabilizer bar. those rubber bushings shrink in the winter and it might be moving around. i have a similar noise going on in very low speed turns / parking maneuvers. i have quick disconnects and i know those are making the sound, so i just thought it might be a similar situation.
X2 on loose swaybar end links,when mine starts poping it's time to torque them again,they just never stay tight after being off about 12 times.

ky_man

Reaction score
My ride has a slight bit of wander on the highway - if I let go of the wheel driving straight at ~55 MPH it will pull a bit one way or another - will probably have my shop check underneath when i get new tires next week. Thanks all!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Check your CV joints too... popping was an indicator when my passenger side joint was bad.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on loose swaybar end links,when mine starts poping it's time to torque them again,they just never stay tight after being off about 12 times.

Hmm, are we talking about a pop or a 'creak'? Something in my front end creaks when it gets cold, but never found any cause-- nor did the dealer. I was told swaybar bushings. And on a previous thread people were talking about cleaning them when you admonished not to put any cleaners or lubricants on them.

Should I check my end links?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ride has a slight bit of wander on the highway - if I let go of the wheel driving straight at ~55 MPH it will pull a bit one way or another - will probably have my shop check underneath when i get new tires next week. Thanks all!

Check out all of the suspension thoroughly. Ball joints, steering rack, tie-rod ends, bearings, etc.

Given that, my steering wheel has been off centered when driving straight for along time. For the first 15k or so miles it was perfect then it slowly got off. Ive had it aligned twice for a lift but its never changed.

Hmm, are we talking about a pop or a 'creak'? Something in my front end creaks when it gets cold, but never found any cause-- nor did the dealer. I was told swaybar bushings. And on a previous thread people were talking about cleaning them when you admonished not to put any cleaners or lubricants on them.

Should I check my end links?

Pretty much anything to do with that front sway bar can make a noise. You can lube the sway bar bushings if you like, it wont hurt a thing. If they are bad enough to be making noises it wont hurt them any further. The best thing to do is to replace them but Im not bothering with that.

The end links will usually make a clunking or popping if they are loose. I like to check all bolts on the front and rear suspension every time I rotate the tires. Doesnt take me 10min to do since I have all the torque values in my head and have a good torque wrench.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeepster is right. Check all your bolts and lube the bushings.

My bushings ocasionally act up and I spray them and they shut up for a while. Whatever those bushings are made out of doesn't like the cold weather as mine seem to be fine in the summer. I really don't think you can hurt the bushings by spraying them. I would rather mine be silenced anyway.

Just my opinion.

Dave

lkwoods

Reaction score
Mine typically do it when I'm backing out of a parking spot with the wheel turned almost all the way.
Not very often, but sometimes when going forward.
CV Joints or bushings?