Plexiglass solution?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cdnpapi

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and while fairly new to the KK, I have had four grand cherokees and I am a devout Jeeper. I am really disappointed in the KK Sky Slider roof (this is not news to anyone here I imagine). I'm looking for some help and while my sky slider is working it's noisy and leaks badly.

I have taken some measurements for a sheet of smoked plexiglass I will have cut to size which I'm thinking about using to replace the slider with a fixed clear roof. I have some questions and would appreciate help before diving in:

1. Has anyone done this, does it work and are there any photos or tips on the best way to do it?
2. Can the slider canvas, cross bars, cables and brackets be removed without destroying them? As bad as the slider is its better than no roof at all if the plexiglass proves to be a bad idea.
3. I plan to fasten the plexiglass with self tapping screws into the metal below the rubber seal. Once removed will this be an adequate surface for mounting? I will overdrive the holes through the plexiglass to allow for some shifting.
4. Will standard windshield urethane adhesive work between the rubber seal and plexiglass and will it allow some flexibility without leaking?

Any advice/help/suggestions/warnings from DIT'ers, body shop people, plexiglass experts or anyone who can express an opinion constructively would be appreciated.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I can’t answer any of your questions, but I wanted to laud you for trying. People with broken sky sliders need a good permanent solution. Take lots of pictures and record your process here. Whether it ultimately works or not, your story will help others in the same situation.

Cdnpapi

Reaction score
I will wait hoping for some help, but if I go for it I will document and share everything.

I am new to the forum and while fairly new to the KK, I have had four grand cherokees and I am a devout Jeeper. I am really disappointed in the KK Sky Slider roof (this is not news to anyone here I imagine). I'm looking for some help and while my sky slider is working it's noisy and leaks badly.

I have taken some measurements for a sheet of smoked plexiglass I will have cut to size which I'm thinking about using to replace the slider with a fixed clear roof. I have some questions and would appreciate help before diving in:

1. Has anyone done this, does it work and are there any photos or tips on the best way to do it?
2. Can the slider canvas, cross bars, cables and brackets be removed without destroying them? As bad as the slider is its better than no roof at all if the plexiglass proves to be a bad idea.
3. I plan to fasten the plexiglass with self tapping screws into the metal below the rubber seal. Once removed will this be an adequate surface for mounting? I will overdrive the holes through the plexiglass to allow for some shifting.
4. Will standard windshield urethane adhesive work between the rubber seal and plexiglass and will it allow some flexibility without leaking?

Any advice/help/suggestions/warnings from DIT'ers, body shop people, plexiglass experts or anyone who can express an opinion constructively would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online