Please help - diagnostic code P 442

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dparis

Reaction score
I'm about to leave for the outer banks tomorrow, and what of course happens - the "malfunction indictor light" comes on - solid - not flashing luckily.

So I turn the ignition on to off 3 times to get the diagnostic problem code and it reads P 442 - "442 A leak has been detected in the evaporative system!"

What does this mean? Is this a loose gas cap experience or is the emission crapola just leaking? Anyone have any experience with this? Can I still drive to the beach without blowing something up? - the two local jeep dealers cannot get me in before I have to leave! I hate when a light comes on and it won't go off.

Thanks!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Well, theres a code like you got for a evap leak, and a code for a MAJOR evap leak. Since you didn't get the later, i'd be willing to bet it's the gas cap....that's usually the most common source of a code like that.

A good way to know its on tight is 3 clicks. I usually do a couple more, but thats just me. Try tightening the cap (take it off and put it back on nice and tight) and get the code erased off the computer (this will turn the light off too). Sometimes however, the CEL will go off on its own, depending on what the code being thrown is. Once it goes through so many "no fault drive cycles" the light will go bye bye, but the code will still be saved on the computers memory.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, Ive seen peeple at the gas station stand there and click the thing like 50 times. I couldnt help but laugh at them and point. \:D/

I wouldnt let that code stop the vacation dparis. We have a 98 corolla and its thrown that code since we got it with 40k and it has 120k now. Its yet to blow up on us. O:) Just stick some black tape over it to get it out of your face, and take care of it when you get back. 8-[

dparis

Reaction score
What's up High Point - I'm a little South of you in the great city of Salisbury.

So I didn't screw the gas cap on tight enough - guess I will be the one cranking the cap on tight.

This makes sense - since I filled up Saturday - then drove once then - a second time Sunday - then when I started driving today it came on. It takes 3 start and runs for a light to come on I guess it takes 3 start and runs for the light to go off after I retighten the cap.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dparis said:
What's up High Point - I'm a little South of you in the great city of Salisbury.

So I didn't screw the gas cap on tight enough - guess I will be the one cranking the cap on tight.

This makes sense - since I filled up Saturday - then drove once then - a second time Sunday - then when I started driving today it came on. It takes 3 start and runs for a light to come on I guess it takes 3 start and runs for the light to go off after I retighten the cap.

No, it can take awhile to go back off. After you make sure the cap is good and tight, unhook the NEG on the battery for 10min and see if the light comes back on after your drive it. You could also go to an autozone and get them to reset it using their little obdII thing.