parts store doesn't sell lower radiator hose??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
so I want to use something like Zerex G-05?...
That's what I'm using. You can get it at the dealer, too, but you'll be limping on the way out and you'll need someone to carry the second jug for you. The Zerex is not cheap but the dealer OEM stuff costs an arm and a leg. :waytogo:

Gramps

Reaction score
I think I can get zerex at the auto parts store, (looks like NAPA sells it for about 17 bucks a gallon) I had a gallon of that stuff and gave it away about a year ago, I remember using it in my Grand Cherokee, wasn't expecting to get another jeep so soon ...ok stupid question, I'm kinda running out of money this weekend, I can afford a gallon of zerex, but that's about it, and I need to flush the engine out, so can I disconnect the lower hose from the radiator, and shove a garden hose into the block where the thermostat goes and let the water run until I can pure water coming out of the lower hose? I can do the same thing to the radiator I'm sure. is that sufficient enough to flush it out? I need to gfet this done tomorrow, my wife needs it for work on Monday.

my wife said she added about 4 gallons of water last week, and I know I put in at least a gallon, so I know there's not much coolant in it now

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I would do the old fill and drain with pure water a few times, bringing it up to operating temp so your new thermostat opens. Watch the temperature, though. With no coolant it could boil over very easily. My water pump went out last winter when it was 7 degrees out and that's how I did it. You're not going to get it with a garden hose (I tried). Short of professional equipment at the dealer you're best off just filling, circulating, then draining a few times.

After the last flush, close everything up and then add 7 quarts of pure coolant. I did the initial fill through the top hose with the radiator end disconnected. The system holds 14 quarts but you'll never get all the water out. Adding the coolant first ensures that once you've filled it completely you'll have a 50/50 mix and not be running weak. :)

EDIT: I should have added that I got my Zerex at the local NAPA place. It seems like I saw it somewhere else, too, but don't remember just where.

Last edited:

Gramps

Reaction score
I would do the old fill and drain with pure water a few times,

ok, I'll do it that way, thanks, I'll put it back together with the new thermostat and drain and fill a few times, then put the coolant in it.

thanks for the tip, seems like I keep screwing up this project, and I know it ain't rocket science, and I should have known about the zerex, I knew that was the stuff I had to use when I had the Grand Cherokee, something in my head kept telling me that it was dexcool that was Chrysler approved, I just read the dexcool jug and it says GM right on it - DUH! now I got a gallon of that stuff I can't use, my Chevy truck is to old for it, that truck takes the green stuff, I'll donate it to someone - or save it - or not

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can also cycle fresh water through the radiator and block faster without the thermostat in.
Run it a few days to cycle through.

Also don't forget your heater core.

Gramps

Reaction score
I put it back together today, I drained the radiator and over flow tank, and filled it with water only, let it warm up to operating temperature and than let it run for about 30 minutes, and this is the color of coolant I'm getting out of it (see pic) it's almost straight water. I think I'll drain and fill a couple more times to gall it flushed,, then put the Zerex in it.

Attachments

• DSCN0224.jpg
    DSCN0224.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 17

Gramps

Reaction score
I've drained and filled twice today, going to do it again, it looks like I got almost all the old coolant out of it.

Latest posts

Members online