Parasitic draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty2122

Reaction score
Traced a parasitic draw on my 07 liberty sport. Seems to be the cigarette lighter up front. Anybody have a wiring schematic of that circuit so I can trace my problem. Unplugged cigarettes lighter from behind console draw remains, pull the fuse #3 From the inside fuse panel parasitic draw goes away. Any help is appreciated ..

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The 2007 is considered a cross over year before the KK arrived.
No 2007 FSM is available.
I did check the 2006 under accessory socket/ cigar lighter circuit, it was fuse 31, so that may not help much.
Unless someone has access to AllData for the wiring diagram, you may have to drop by a dealer & see if they have a book you might be able to view/photo copy?
Do you have the 2007 Owners manual? What does fuse 3 all cover?

Rusty2122

Reaction score
The 2007 is considered a cross over year before the KK arrived.
No 2007 FSM is available.
I did check the 2006 under accessory socket/ cigar lighter circuit, it was fuse 31, so that may not help much.
Unless someone has access to AllData for the wiring diagram, you may have to drop by a dealer & see if they have a book you might be able to view/photo copy?
Do you have the 2007 Owners manual? What does fuse 3 all cover?
Thanks for the reply, the owners manual that came with my liberty said # 3 fuse was front lighter outlet and nothing else . When I pull the fuse outlet guilts working and parasitic draw disappears, if I just unplug lighter parasitic draw remains. Will try a find a schematic. Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Did you ring out the socket itself? By design they are prone to shorting out with age. Should be no signal from sides to dead center. Just remember to disconnect the leads on the back of it first. Replaced mine with USB ports and added a power switch for less that 5$. Takes longer to remove the old socket than it does to snap a pair of vampire shunts on the hot lead for a SPST toggle or LED button.
I assure you digging around in the dashboard too much is likely to create more issues than it fixes. They bundled the leads for the outlet in the HVAC and audio leg and it snakes around sensitive places behind the steering column.

Rusty2122

Reaction score
Did you ring out the socket itself? By design they are prone to shorting out with age. Should be no signal from sides to dead center. Just remember to disconnect the leads on the back of it first. Replaced mine with USB ports and added a power switch for less that 5$. Takes longer to remove the old socket than it does to snap a pair of vampire shunts on the hot lead for a SPST toggle or LED button.
I assure you digging around in the dashboard too much is likely to create more issues than it fixes. They bundled the leads for the outlet in the HVAC and audio leg and it snakes around sensitive places behind the steering column.
BY unplugging the socket the draw should of disappeared if socket was the problem. It did not ! Leaves me to believe the draw must be coming from the wiring going to socket. ? I could be wrong in my thinking and any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
BY unplugging the socket the draw should of disappeared if socket was the problem. It did not ! Leaves me to believe the draw must be coming from the wiring going to socket. ? I could be wrong in my thinking and any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Oh, I missed that detail. Sorry. I'll be behind the dash on my 07 later today to wire up some exterior lighting. I'll see if I can come up with any pinch points or the like for you. I seem to remember two left of the steering column, but want to verify before I send you on a snipe hunt.

Rusty2122

Reaction score
Really appreciate your help. Currently raining were I’m at and the garage is full of other projects. Did recheck parasitic draw with the fuse still pulled out and everything fine. Plug fuse in and draw returns. I’m currently trying to download a schematic but not having much luck. Have a great day and thanks for the help.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I’ve found the schematic to be touch and go due to 07 being a transition model. In this case, won’t be much help as it’s a straight shot for two wires from the fuse to the socket.

Truthfully since it’s all bundled with tape, it’s probably best to just disconnect the wires on each end and pull new ones.

Otherwise you risk nicking or breaking other circuits and creating a bigger issue.

Rusty2122

Reaction score
I’ve found the schematic to be touch and go due to 07 being a transition model. In this case, won’t be much help as it’s a straight shot for two wires from the fuse to the socket.

Truthfully since it’s all bundled with tape, it’s probably best to just disconnect the wires on each end and pull new ones.

Otherwise you risk nicking or breaking other circuits and creating a bigger issue.
Once again I really appreciate your help. I have to agree with your solution of pulling new wires. Will let you know how it works out. THanks for your help and have a happy holiday.

Rusty2122

Reaction score
One last question? Anybody have any ideal on how long it takes for these libertys control module to go to sleep once everything shuts down and doors are closed.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
On mine it's very quick, (with interior lights off at stalk) close doors and you can hear the click as the odometer lights go off.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I
Thank you. Mine seems to take a full minute before everything shuts down. Seems normal.
On my 07 it is one minute fifteen seconds for the headlights unless you lock it up with the fob. It’s for minutes for windows. Alternatively, one can flick the headlights on and off to shut down immediately.

JeepinSteve

Reaction score
Is the cigarette lighter part of the lighting system?

Last edited:

timgray

Reaction score
Mine had the same issue until I removed the poorly installed alarm that was being powered by that circuit. make sure a previous owner did not install something.

Michael Wolfe

Reaction score
I'm with TimGray. Methinks someone tied into the wiring harness for something. My 2005 cigarette lighter socket stays active when the ignition is switched off. Check for antenna amplfiers, audio amps, etc. Security systems.
BTW, how much draw are we talking?

Latest posts

Members online