P0304 and P0432

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegapgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I accidently spilled coolant onto the engine of my 2002 Jeep Liberty.

A friend of mine hosed off the engine with water and must have gotten something wet. The car was idling rough for approximately 2 hours afterwards but eventually went away.

The car is idling smoothly now and running fine, but the CHECK ENGINE light keeps coming on. The first code is threw was a P0304. Once cleared it threw another code P0432.

What gives???

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Looks like something (obviously) got soaked ... maybe when she dries out they will go away.

P0304 Cylinder #4 Misfire
P0432 2/1 Catalytic Converter Efficiency

oh and what Ry said .... please save the kittens :D

thegapgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should probably qualify it and say that I just got a brand new catalytic converter. However, I am told that the 2002 Jeep Liberty has 3. Is it possible another CAT is going?? I certainly hope not as that cost me a fortune to replace!

But at 231,000 and the original owner she still runs great. (Except, when I call her a car :)

Thoughts???

bgordon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having it now with the 305, 432 code I spilled brake fluid and looks everywhere

thegapgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no, shortly thereafter old girl died on me at 235K. I now own a 2006 Jeep Liberty in her her honor. :)

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder why spilt fluid would cause the cylinder misfire

Number 5 is right back there. Did you check the coil and pull the plug to clean everything out? Swap the coil out and see what happens. A chronic misfire can mess up the cat. How long has it been misfiring?

bgordon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was filling the brake fluid and I spilled a little bit and it looks to have rolled around my valve cover on my driver side of the engine how in the he'll it did that I have no clue man when I checked the fluid it looks like it was oil but I haven't refilled my oil since I had a change at swipe dodge, and I checked it and it's full so I'm almost 100% sure my gasket isn't leaking but something is all over my valve cover and down on the o2 sensor and catalyst converter and then now the two codes are showing. I'm baffled I know the spark plugs are good I just changed them 200 miles ago, so I guess I need to check the 5 cylinder spark plug and clean up my mess and see if that makes a difference,
I will say one day I was playing with it in first gear and was tapping the gas to make it jerk to be funny :/ and it tried to die a lot until I cut it off and then back on and it ran like a champ and still does the ckeck engine light was on prior to this ******** moment which I will never do again :/

So I'm clueless I guess first things first check spark plug, I also have a gasket for this side cause I changed the other side a few years back and then clean it , any other tips??

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm clueless I guess first things first check spark plug, I also have a gasket for this side cause I changed the other side a few years back and then clean it , any other tips??

Number 5 is right back there. Did you check the coil and pull the plug to clean everything out? Swap the coil out and see what happens. A chronic misfire can mess up the cat. How long has it been misfiring?

I'd start with the cleaning but if the misfire is still there try swapping the coil.