Ouch...(not sure what else to say)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take TwoBobs suggestion and get a 15" extension for the top bellhousing bolt. I also used a universal adapter that I wrapped in electrical tape to make it much less wobbly. I saw that in his swap thread a day or two before I needed it and it was the best advice I got.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't have any long ratchet extensions you'll probably need some. Just about every motor I've pulled had at least one PITA bolt on the bellhousing I had to reach from few feet away.

Take TwoBobs suggestion and get a 15" extension for the top bellhousing bolt. I also used a universal adapter that I wrapped in electrical tape to make it much less wobbly. I saw that in his swap thread a day or two before I needed it and it was the best advice I got.

I've accumulated every form of extension you could possibly imagine over the years so I all set there. I like the idea of dewobbling (new word) the universal adapter. I'll definitely try that.

Most of it is having the right tools and a small stable slab to work on.
I've started buying the moving dollys from harbor freight, just a simple frame with wheels rated for 1000lbs. Modifying a pallet and attaching the dolly frame (or two depending on the size), wheel the new motor in to position when it's needed and wheel the old out of the way.
Last motor I only used hand tools, I do have air tools and a compressor but surprised myself by not bothering to roll it out.

I'll probably try that dolly trick. I do need an engine stand and hoist so I'll be visiting HF for those anyway. This is a good excuse to get them. I've always wanted one of each anyway.

Since you live where it hot, as I do, some sort of covering will make your day and save that hassle of being over concerned about the weather. Or do in January if the weather breaks enough. Well that may only work down here with our mild winters.

I've got a two car garage and can use both bays. Wife won't like that too much but I hope to be quick once the new one is located. Also I really like to sweat. Builds character.:happy175:

I don't know what the liberties are like, the commander wasn't that bad. Hardest part for me was the bloody exhaust bolts for the down pipe. Spent so much time on those bolts.

No trouble here when I pulled the heads a while back. I just removed the V clamps and pulled the manifolds off with the heads. Assembly was the reverse so manifolds were reinstalled prior to installing the heads. Vclamps tightened with a 10mm stubby ratcheting wrench as suggested by TJKJ.

Thank you both for the great suggestions. :favorites13:
I'll see how far I get with the teardown this weekend. Only have a few hours to really do much due to other commitments.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's a great tick. For a short time autozone sold a swivel head adapter bent at certain angles so there was none of the wobblyness, sad thing was it was in a clearance bin in 2002 never saw anybody else sell them.
I don't know how useful the tool is, worked great on the Cherokee for a CPS sensor, helpful on a Aerostar clutch job (yes there were a few 5 speeds), last few motors I used the tape trick for the wobbly adapters. Didn't help my brother in law left the angle adapter out to get rusty, so I took his longest ratchet extensions.

Glad there is a good place to work on this, first cylinder head I pulled (stupid Toyota hunk of junk) was in late May down here, got a early start, by 10 am the tools were so hot they'd burn your hand. After that experience I try to set up anything I can to shade the work area. Or plan to work in the fall or early spring if it can be helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, when I bought my engine stand and lift I got them from SAMs club of all places. They were sold under the good year brand, no clue who actually made them but both fold up nicely and roll somewhat out of the way.

Keep in mind this must have been12 years ago. Harbor freight is probably still the best bet just thought I should mention Sam's club can have some decent tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk