One Thing Led to Another

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZWookie

Reaction score
Ok to start a short story from someone relatively new to the inner workings of a Jeep. I bought my 2006 Liberty Renegade about two years ago already with 3" poly spaces. Looks and at least conceptually sounded great.

Fast forward to 3 months ago I hit a pothole on I-65 in Indiana and to the best of my knowledge that was the start of my problems. The driver side strut mount blew out the bushing. Drove with that for a while until I did enough research and picked up a haynes manual and decided the easiest cheapest option was to rebuild the assembly with a new mount. Completed and seemed fine. At the same time I also did the lower ball joint and about a week later wheel bearing assemblies on both sides.

My camber was off for a while and when I went for alignment they told me I needed new upper control arms and passenger side lower CA. Admittedly when I did the shock rebuild I noticed the upper ball joint was VERY sloppy. Naturally I held off on the shop recommendations. A week later driving home from work I made a very low speed right turn and my upper ball joint separated from the control arm and my tire dropped to about 30 degrees to the ground. Fun stuff right. A tow truck and dealer later I have new uppers.

Now here is the rub. I am told by the dealer I need new lower control arms. I think the shocks are bad. One way or another something is driving funky and base don what I read the spacers may be the root of the problem.

So I need new lowers and shocks I will assume and for the cost of dealer labor to do the lowers I can for a little more buy the shocks and do all the work myself.

The question now is asusming I buy OEM lower CAs what struts and springs should I get to keep it all level with the 3" poly spacers I have in the rear. I will rebuild the rear eventually but one at a time so front for now.

I get that I likely want OME or Ironman components. What I cant figure out is which models I want / need and more so what else I will need if I am to build them or where / what to get pre-assembled. It will definitely be used on and off road but primarily daily driver.

Thoughts and suggestions please

Thanks,

Josh

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First Welcome
Second yes the spacer lift is about 75-80% of the issues with parts wearing out faster.
I highly doubt you are still at 3 inches of lift with stock springs since with that many miles you're bound to have sagged at least an inch or more.
BUT,.................
For 3 inches of lift in front OME 927s with 1/4 inch thick top plate will put you at 3 inches. If going Ironman then use their springs and 3/8 inch clevis spacers to get to 3 inches.
Of course will need new front shocks as well either Ironman or OME
Too bad that you just bought new UCAs would of been a great time to upgrade to JBAs UCAs
But if you stay at or below 3 inches you'll be in good shape
Do the above and it will ride and handle better than it ever did for you

ZWookie

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will try to go OME 927 since they are the heavier load with the 90009 sport strut from OME. Just waiting on the guy at JBA to review my order to make sure I have everything I need since I am going to have them assemble the struts and save me the effort. My janky McPherson Strut spring compressor is kinda sketch and scary.

They conveniently have the LCAs I need too so one stop shop. Too bad no free shipping or readily available discount codes. Decent prices but still not cheap by any means.

I am getting the spacer plates and extended bump stop. Is there any reason or advantage to getting the extended sway bar end links too?

Also any suggestions where I can find some new hardware for the LCA mounting bolts and lower clevis bolt without going to the dealer?

Thanks again!

ZWookie

Reaction score
I don't presently have a heavy steel bumper. No issue with getting the heavy load springs and not having a heavy load is there. Should i get the middle load 926 instead. Not sure if or when i will get a new bumper. I want to eventually so building suspension for it sounds right so long as it wont cause issues without the extra load

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't presently have a heavy steel bumper. No issue with getting the heavy load springs and not having a heavy load is there. Should i get the middle load 926 instead. Not sure if or when i will get a new bumper. I want to eventually so building suspension for it sounds right so long as it wont cause issues without the extra load

Every one we have done here at my place use the 927s in front with no issues

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be a lot worse. Most of the "One Thing Led to Another" stories I've heard resulted in a pregnancy. :gr_grin:

ZWookie

Reaction score
Ended up getting 927s. Now I just cant wait for it all to get here so I can install.

I will pass on the pregnancy bit hopefully. At least I can screw with the Jeep all I want and not worry too much about that. There was that one time but we wont talk about it ;)

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call on the 927's. I run them and the ride is not harsh at all. Very comfortable, 10x better than stock. Gonna be 100000x better than your old busted spacer lift