OME Light/Medium/HD's ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midgear

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked, answered, asked again, frustratingly answered again, asked again, person got assassinated for asking ect ect-

as we all know, my springs are sagged (stock with 130k on em.. not good. I can barely put two fingers between the bump stop and upper control arm, and the coils of the spring are very close to eachother.. if it weren't for the bump stop, I'd be in serious trouble.)

now. I know the OME springs come in L / M / HD, and the rears (according to that chart I seen here) come in L and M..

the questions-

1. I really don't plan on adding a big fancy heavy front bumper for a while, I'm going to, don't get me wrong, but I just don't see it happening within the next year.

2. I notice on said chart, it states not to use a M or HD coil if you're going to be going light duty.. but then I read somewhere that the light duty springs provide less lift.. LOLWUT?! This leads me down the path of the medium spring.

3. do they not have HD springs for the rear? if not, that's fine.

4. If I use medium coils all the way around, about how much lift can I expect versus my springs now that can barely hold the weight of the KJ itself? (important question)

5. How long can I expect to enjoy my lift before I gotta worry about sagging springs again? (important question)

6. Do I need to purchase new upper control arms along with the springs? Or will the stock ones suffice?

7. what's the main purpose of the aftermarket UCA's?

thank you for reading, sorry if this is frustrating. too many questions and too many answeres spread out all over the forum.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked, answered, asked again, frustratingly answered again, asked again, person got assassinated for asking ect ect-

as we all know, my springs are sagged (stock with 130k on em.. not good. I can barely put two fingers between the bump stop and upper control arm, and the coils of the spring are very close to eachother.. if it weren't for the bump stop, I'd be in serious trouble.)

now. I know the OME springs come in L / M / HD, and the rears (according to that chart I seen here) come in L and M..

the questions-

1. I really don't plan on adding a big fancy heavy front bumper for a while, I'm going to, don't get me wrong, but I just don't see it happening within the next year.

2. I notice on said chart, it states not to use a M or HD coil if you're going to be going light duty.. but then I read somewhere that the light duty springs provide less lift.. LOLWUT?! This leads me down the path of the medium spring.

3. do they not have HD springs for the rear? if not, that's fine.

4. If I use medium coils all the way around, about how much lift can I expect versus my springs now that can barely hold the weight of the KJ itself? (important question)

5. How long can I expect to enjoy my lift before I gotta worry about sagging springs again? (important question)

6. Do I need to purchase new upper control arms along with the springs? Or will the stock ones suffice?

7. what's the main purpose of the aftermarket UCA's?

thank you for reading, sorry if this is frustrating. too many questions and too many answeres spread out all over the forum.

Here's my limited knowledge on the subject. I asked a lot of questions and read a lot and am waiting for my 926's/947's to arrive.

1) If you are planning on a bumper, I'd just do HD right now.

2) Yes, 925 will lift less than 926, which will lift less than 927. The point of L, M, H is that with the weight specified they *should* just about be the same height. Without the extra weight, obviously, the heavier spring would give more lift.

3) Don't get wrapped up in the names - they have 925, 926, 927 for the front - people call them L, M, H - just know that there are three stiffness levels for the front. For the rear, there are 2 siffness levels - 947 or 948. So, call them L and M, or M and H, it doesn't matter. Two levels for the rear, 3 for the front.

4) Over stock, I'd think 2-2.5" with 926/947, especially if you're sagging badly now. Can always add a few spacers for more lift ;)

5) Depends on how hard you use them. My OEM springs really aren't sagging too bad at 46k. Other people say they sag bad. Also, depends on the weight you have on it - they WILL sag faster with a bumper. I'm not saying not to get one, just know that they will sag. That being said, seems like people have been happy with their HD's for a good 75k-100k miles.

6) Stock should be just fine. May have issues if you're trying to do a huge 3.5" lift.

7) Main purpose is a greasable ball joint plus the angle is improved to avoid contact with the spring. My understanding is the stock one is typically OK, but not optimal in a lifted position. The aftermarket is better positioned.

I decided on 926/947 as I have no plans for a bumper and really don't wheel too much. I don't tow much, and I don't carry heavy loads often. Honestly, it's usually just me in the KJ driving to work.

Again, if I were planning on a bumper, I would have went 927/948 and not looked back ;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.