OK - Now for some MAN tires...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The planets have aligned, and i now find it possible to upgrade the tires on the Libberty. So Saturday I went to the tire store looking for some new "shoes" for my 2006. I recently added an OME lift (springs only). I measured the lift at 3" over the original height, and 21" from wheel center to fender on all four corners.

The 17" rims seem to limit my choices quite a bit. I've been watching for some 16" wheels for a decent price, but things just haven't come together...

Also, the 17" size adds about $40.00 or more to the price of each tire. Not to mention teeter on the edge of having to run an "LT" instead of a "P".

I had one store suggest a 265/70-17 as a more "standard" tire for better selection. Is it even possible to get that much tire under my ride? It is, after all 31.5 x 10.5 in size, and that seems just a little big for the Liberty - even lifted.

What has anyone else found that works well, and doesn't cost an axtra $120?
I'm looking for a good A/T, but would consider a well mannered M/T. I don't want to do any trimming, so tall and narrow is acceptable.

Please list size and brand

Thanks for your help

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics would be great - If I knew how to post (I'm sure I can figure it out as I remember seeing a "how to" somewhere here.)

BUT... Posting pics of my lifted Libby without some decent tires is like wearing flip-flops with a tuxedo. ](*,)

I promise to do some before/after pics (I have some from before the lift) once the tire/wheel issue is resolved.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics would be great - If I knew how to post (I'm sure I can figure it out as I remember seeing a "how to" somewhere here.)

BUT... Posting pics of my lifted Libby without some decent tires is like wearing flip-flops with a tuxedo. ](*,)

I promise to do some before/after pics (I have some from before the lift) once the tire/wheel issue is resolved.

Have you decided which tires you are going to run? I see a lot of JK Rubicon take of tires on Craigslist in PHX. Those are 255/75/17. If you don't mind some trimming those should fit.

Last edited:

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eyehatetofu,

Thanks for the suggestion - great minds think alike. I had been spending some time on Craig's list even as you posted. After more than a week of leaving messagrs, and trying to get people to call me back, today I picked up a set of 5 tires mounted on 2006 Rubicon (Moab) rims. Best of all, the tires have some good tread left on them.

The 16" rim size has really been what I wanted ever since the first time I went shopping for 17" A/Ts and found the selection a bit thin. I didn't get them for free (See " How to get a set of Moabs for Free " post), but I didn't pay too much for them either.

The tires are 245/75-16, M/Ts and with the difference in the rim offset, there is a bit of rubbing I'll need to address, even with the lift. Anyway, the look and stance of the Libby has definately improved - I'll post up some pics in the next couple days...

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, here are a couple pre and post lift pictures.

Got about 2" out of the OME springs (now that they are settling in) and about an additional 1" or so with the larger tires...

Still pondering some top plates or clevis lift to level it some - we'll see...

Attachments

• lf-B4 (Small).JPG
    lf-B4 (Small).JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 58
  • lf-t1 (Small).JPG
    lf-t1 (Small).JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 64
  • rr-b4 (Small).JPG
    rr-b4 (Small).JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 43
  • rr-t1.JPG (Small).JPG
    rr-t1.JPG (Small).JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 60

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, lookin' good! What a big difference a couple inches of lift and some MT/R's make.

You going to wheel this thing, or is it all for show?

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments!

You going to wheel this thing, or is it all for show?

Why have a Jeep if you're not going to 'wheel it? We had it up to Sedona shortly after buying it, and was playing in the mud/snow with the stock Wrangler HP's - Ok, so there wasn't alot of playin' with those tires, but it did take a while to get all the "red" off.

I'm not a "beat it 'till you break it" kinda of guy. I'm getting too old and lazy to spend all my time repairing things. We used to take or stock '98 Grand Cherokee places and get the "how'd you get here?" looks. With a little finess and grace I can go just about anywhere I really want to, and still make it home intact.

The MT/R are bit more tire than I wanted, and being LTs ride a little stiff, but they came on the rims with decent tread left on them so... I'll probably step down to an agressive A/T we these finally wear out.

KJJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on looking good. I just purchased a set of those Moabs but I'm looking to mount a set of Duratrac's.

Also wondering how it rides.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great. How's it ride?

Before the wheels/tires I was runniong Toyo Open Contry A/Ts, on the factory 17"x7-1/2" rims. They where the OEM size 235/65-17. These where great, except I thought they wore out a little too soon.

I upgraded the spring and shock combo about 6 months ago. Went with OME 926 (Medium) on the front, 948 (Medium) on the rear, and the standard Rancho's listed in the lift sticky. Even with the now thining Toyos, the ride improved greatly, and included a measured 3" (wheel center to fender) above where the jeep originally sat. The front has since settled about 1/2"

With the Moab/MTR combo, the ride is still pretty good. The MTRs were used, and it took some swapping around to get the noisest pair (most worn) on the back so that you could stand to drive it over 50mph. The tires are "LT"s, and therefore a bit stiff for the Liberty. I've noticed a bit more wander in driving it, but this could be due to not having it re-alinged yet with the new rims/tires. I won't be surprised if the springs seem to be a litle softer as the additional 1" of outward wheel offset provides more leverage on the spring - not sure I'll even notice.

I've got some rubbing (pinchweld) I'll need to address. But as it is limited to sharper turns, I can be carefull for now. Definately something to fix before some serious wheeling though.

All-in-all, I'm happy. Once these tires start getting thin, I'll get something a little less agressive as it is still a daily driver, and unfortunatly has to live the the world of paved roads as well.

Last edited:

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put some 265/65/17's on mine with just a OME med. lift .

love the ride, had to do pinch weld mod, also have rubbing under fog light door but
nothing extreme that i had to trim it, i just drive around it (not crank the wheel all the way when possible).

went wheeling at mosport over the ALMS weekend just past and everything works great but have to install bump stops as the rears at full stuff rub on wheel well