Ok, need advice on exhaust...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
......Ok. So I want to have a custom exhaust put on the Jeep. I want something pretty simple, not to expensive, that sounds nice! What type of exhaust should I get? Opinions please?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt get a new exhaust. IMHO they are just a waste of money since the kjs exhaust is fairly free flowing. I would get just the muffler. O:)

I like the magna-flow.

Edit: I CANNOT stand when I know there is a thread out there and I cannot find it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone posted a sound clip of his exhaust. Someone please find it before I kill. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

2003KJ

Reaction score
It is a flowmaster sound clip that Blake is thinking of.....and here it is....

It's even in the video and sound clip section too dude.....must be an off day for you....lol.

anyways....vroom vroom!!!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
It is a flowmaster sound clip that Blake is thinking of.....and here it is....

It's even in the video and sound clip section too dude.....must be an off day for you....lol.

anyways....vroom vroom!!!

thats not it. It was a white libby with what looked like MTR's.. I just watched it a few min ago. ](*,)

FOUND IT!!! CLICK

Gotta right click and Download..

Says he has the 50 series.

The vid that 2003kj posted makes it sounds alittle raspy. :-s

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted the video that Tim linked to. I agree the flowmaster 40 dose have a little bit of rasp up around 4k - 5k RMP. But then again I don't rev it up like that all the time. It's just the muffler with stock pipe, I got it put on at a small local shop for about $90. I really only got it for the sound. It does resonate inside the Jeep at about 1500 RPM. I have a 30 mile commute to work and there have been afternoons that I had a headache when it just sounded like the exhaust was running between my ears and I turned the O/D off just to stop the drone. Both my sister and mother have ridden in the back and complained about the noise and not being able to hear the conversation in the front. But most of the time it's just me so it's not a big deal. I haven't heard a magnaflow or a borla on a 3.7L in person, but for the price I like the flowmaster. I haven't checked my mileage sense I put it on but I have all my gas receipts in the console. I'll post my average when I get around to figuring it all up, I know I was getting 19-21 before I put it on. Over all I'm happy with it.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some folks at the local parts store gave me the name of a place that does custom exhausts. Said they'll do whatever I want. If I do it that way, how big should I get the pipes?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just get the muffler (whatever you choose) dont let them talk you into a complete system. pipe rear of the muffler is already 2.5 inch so flows good enough. also they could move muffler up forward a little there is a drop down to 2.25 just in front of the stock muffler, that way you have 2.5 all the way

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't invest in custom exhaust! Especially if you ever plan to off-road, one well placed rock or stump will ruin your day! Just replace the muffler.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. THANK YOU everyone who offered their valued opinions.....
I will be just going with the new muffler! I'm going to call the place today to get prices......then i'll decide on which one.....I just want something w/a nice lil sound to it.....

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great sound.... great !