oil light comes on when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiger2k

Reaction score
I have changed out my sensor 4 times and still have the issue with the light coming on only in the winter or when the temp gets under 45 degrees.. So I am not sold on the sensor being the only possible issue... I have changed oil from Royal Purple to a blend to straight dino and still have the same problem... Summer time? all good.. never so much as a chime or light... go figure... So if not the pressure sensor, then what else could cause it only in the cooler temps.. and and yeah.. it comes on and goes off.... then on and off.... during the drive no matter how long... I drove 5 hours straight.. and the chime would ring and the light would come on and off the whole trip... sometimes an hour would be in between.... sometimes only minutes... stumped...

cprat76

Reaction score
I wouldn't drive it and check and/or replace the oil pump. If your oil pump is wearing out in can cause inconsistent oil pressure, which means if you had a gauge it would bounce up and down, which would also cause your light to come on and off. I don't know how hard it is to change the oil pump in a KJ. Most cars you have to drop the oil pan and replace the pump in there.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Digging up year old thread are we..ha ha..
Try switching to a different oil filter (he we go)...
Ensure it is the stock size and has an anti-drain back valve.
I use a K&N with the one inch nut on the bottom, but Purolator & Mobil One, Napa Gold, have been recommended by many here as well.
I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5-W30 all year.

sxmd

Reaction score
Had the same problem. Change the oil pressure sensor. Should solve the problem. Check the sensor, some 04 3.7L had a single wire sensor, and some had multi-wire sensors. I got the wrong one the first time I bought it. Wrap a little Teflon tape around the threads to keep it from leaking.