Oil Drain Plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wazmer

Reaction score
So I ordered a Fumoto replacement for my oil drain plug. As I changed the oil over the weekend, I realized that I could not remove the old one and not sure there were threads for a new one.
So, I’ve always thought what was on it was odd. It is like a one piece clamp on style plug. It’s hard to describe, maybe I can get a pic of it some day. It has a big o-ring and simply seals around the drain. It’s like a long threaded rod that threads through a rod perpendicular to it resting inside the pan.
My question is: is this stock? I can’t seem to find anything like it doing searches.
Also, how can I remove it? And, is it possible that there are no threads in the drain for a normal plug? I couldn’t feel any what little way I could stick my pinky up there

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
What you've got sounds like someone stripped the threads and goofed it together to get it out of the shop. Don't go back there.

Original is an allen plug (8mm allen wrench) with a copper sealing washer. The cast pan threads strip out easily which is why some switch to the Fumoto quick drain/plug. The Fumoto #104 valve needs a slightly larger hole, 16.5mm, and re-tapping, 18x1.5.

There might be a different Fumoto part number for original undestroyed threads, not sure about original threads.

Last edited:

Wazmer

Reaction score
I was afraid of something like that. Whatever happened, it was done before I owned it. I will have to look into more next oil change when I can leave it out of service for a weekend

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I believe the pan can't be swapped with the engine in place. Unplug the sensor at the back of the fuel rail if any engine lifting is attempted. The sensor is the first thing to come in contact with the firewall.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
What you have might be an expanding plug. If there's a lever flip it to where it's sticking perpendicular to the oil pan, then turn the lever counterclockwise and it should release. Simpler versions forgo the lever and just have a nut to tighten on the threaded portion which expands the rubber portion.

iakj11

Reaction score
My CRD had one of those expanding drain plugs in it when I bought it. The top part that you can't see is like the hinged part of a toggle bolt. Reach up there with a hook of some kind and you'll be able to pull it right out. In my case there were just enough threads left in the pan to install the fumoto valve with some silicone sealant. Good luck!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Seems like a lot was lost going from the 2.5 to the 2.8 with only 300cc displacement gained.

Wazmer

Reaction score
My CRD had one of those expanding drain plugs in it when I bought it. The top part that you can't see is like the hinged part of a toggle bolt. Reach up there with a hook of some kind and you'll be able to pull it right out. In my case there were just enough threads left in the pan to install the fumoto valve with some silicone sealant. Good luck!
Thanks! I will try that, hopefully I have some threads

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
What's the model number of the Fumoto valve you ordered? I have the drill bit and tap to install a Fumoto #104 which is oversized for stripped out threads. Are you comfortable drilling and tapping upside-down?

Wazmer

Reaction score
I got the 103 but I’m worried it won’t fit now. Unfortunately I’ll have to wait another 9500 miles until I need an oil change to mess with it again

Wazmer

Reaction score
I got the 103 but I’m worried it won’t fit now. Unfortunately I’ll have to wait another 9500 miles until I need an oil change to mess with it again
But yeah that’s a good idea. I’ll get what’s in there out and see if it works, if not I’ll tap it. Hopefully I have more time in a few months

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Just went interwebbing to find out the original plug size and thread and there a two schools of thought. The first bunch will screw whatever jams in there and call it good. Second bunch is confused.

Stock OEM threads are British Pipe Thread 3/8"-19 threads per inch, straight thread and the Fumoto #102 fits these undamaged threads.

You've got the Fumoto #103 which is 12mm-1.25. Tap/drill size is 10.80mm or .4252" which is slightly larger than 27/64" or just under 11mm. Maybe it'll work if the hole isn't already too big.

Fumoto #104 has 18mm-1.5 threads with a 16.5mm tap/drill, (41/64")

Does this look like what you have?

Attachments

• P1010024.jpg
    P1010024.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 7
  • P1010023.jpg
    P1010023.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.