OEM exhaust: how long did it last, replacement types, cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the exhaust is starting to go on my '02 LTD. 67,000+ miles. #-o

Trying to get a feel for what is out there and what works and doesn't work, and how much of a hit I should expect.

How long did your exhaust last before you had to replace it, and did you put in another stock system, or go with something else (Borla stainless steel, for example) and why, and how much did it set you back?

Thanks, folks!

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I saw that thread. What made you choose to make the change to Magnaflow as opposed to Borla stainless, and how much did the entire thing end up costing you?

Thanks!

Bob

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Magnaflow is stainless as well.....a local exhaust supply company we do lots of business with hooked me up for $300 on this system.....he gave me a tad better deal as it was not for re-sale and used on my personal vehicle.
Greg

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got under it over the weekend, and found nothing that I could really see wrong. I thought it was maybe a loosening exhaust because I am getting an intermittent vibration that I can't seem to isolate. You know how sometimes exhausts can cause that. Going to have the wheels re-balanced on Friday and see what that does, although I am not terribly hopeful.

The only thing I can say is that it seems driveline related somehow. It is not a constant, and doesn't always increase and decrease with the speed of the vehicle. Seems more like when I have my foot on the gas and not so much when I coast.

I am not doing anything even remotely challenging to the vehicle. Mostly just street miles. It has not been in water, nor has anything on the underside been bumped.

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
Generally the shorter your trips the quicker your exhaust rust out. You gotta heat it enough to get rid of condensation.

I usually get over 150K from a stock muffler.

Alerion

Reaction score
Emoto said:
Well, I got under it over the weekend, and found nothing that I could really see wrong. I thought it was maybe a loosening exhaust because I am getting an intermittent vibration that I can't seem to isolate. You know how sometimes exhausts can cause that. Going to have the wheels re-balanced on Friday and see what that does, although I am not terribly hopeful.

The only thing I can say is that it seems driveline related somehow. It is not a constant, and doesn't always increase and decrease with the speed of the vehicle. Seems more like when I have my foot on the gas and not so much when I coast.

I am not doing anything even remotely challenging to the vehicle. Mostly just street miles. It has not been in water, nor has anything on the underside been bumped.

When you were looking at the exhaust system did you happen to grab ahold of it and see if you could shake it. It wouldn't be my first guess but it's possible that you've had an exhaust hanger fail. I had the front hanger on my XJ separate and it caused a very loud, short-term, vibration when I accelerated.

Good luck,

Tom

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did, and although there was some movement, it didn't seem like it was loose. May have just been the pipe flexing. What I think I have to do is get the girlfriend to be in the cab and start it up and apply some throttle while I am underneath watching the pipe.

Thanks,

Bob

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE!

The vibration was from the rear U-joint starting to seize up. covered by extended warranty. =D>