O2 sensor(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tan's2002kjlimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That wonderful orange glow of the engine light came on. I drove to Auto-zone to get it checked. They found codes: PO174, PO159.
HO2S 22
"The PCM has determined that the response time for the oxygen sensor 2 in bank 2 was too slow during testing."

Auto-zone wants $60 for a new Bosch sensor. I crawled under the KJ and found both sensors below the exhaust manifold converters. I'm not sure which one is the "bank 2" sensor, Driver's side or passengers side. to top it off I'm not sure if I can get my fat arm up to disconnect and reconnect the wiring harnesses. Should I change just the bad one, or just replace them both to be safe?

To make matters worse, I went to Firestone Master-care to see how much they want, and they say I have 4 oxy sensors, not 2.

I'm confused, has anyone else experienced this problem and could shed some light my way?

Thanks

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bank refers to a side of the motor. 1 being the side with the #1 cylinder on it. Sensor 1 is pre converter and Sensor 2 is post.
In my experiences when one goes bad the other isnt gonna be that far behind.

tan's2002kjlimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It ***** getting old and less agile.:mad:

And being just that,also worrying about the possibility of inadvertently changing the wrong one, I went to Midas today.

So you say, how much did I get bent over for??hitit.gif

Diagnostic scan
new oxy sensor
new sparks
fuel injector service
oil change
tire rotation

(drum roll please)... just over $400. With a 1 year-12k mile warranty.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised just how many O2 sensors there are on a Libby engine. Since buying it my 04 Liberty Sport has had two of them fail & one I tore off on a trail. Luckily they were covered by my "extended warranty".

By the way, what size wrench do you need to get them out? I tried to remove one from my exhaust manifold but found it really tight. Maybe I needed some heat.