Not totally new but back...KJ project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RABustaman

RABustaman's KJ 2005
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 2005 Liberty Limited Trail ready 3.7. 170K miles.
Negative history: 2 transmissions replaced; Rear end or Trans still engages hard sometimes. Not quite a slam but a thud. I will start another string on that; 4WD Switch malfunction shows up on scanner; oxygen sensors go bad, and occasional odd misfiring that nobody can figure out, etc. But I love this Jeep!
New goals: 1. I'm wanting a 2 inch full lift kit with shocks, springs, struts. Old Man Emu? 2. Rack n Pinion replacement is needed. Upgrade? 3. Maybe an auxiliary Trans cooler? I think the transmissions go because they overheat.
I guess I should start a separate string for each item?
I Appreciate you! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Last edited:

RABustaman

RABustaman's KJ 2005
Reaction score
Negative history: 2 transmissions replaced; Rear end or Trans still engages hard sometimes. Not quite a slam but a thud. I will start another string on that; 4WD Switch malfunction shows up on scanner; oxygen sensors go bad, and occasional odd misfiring that nobody can figure out, etc. But I love this Jeep!
New goals: 1. I'm wanting a 2 inch full lift kit with shocks, springs, struts. Old Man Emu? 2. Rack n Pinion replacement is needed. Upgrade? 3. Maybe an auxiliary Trans cooler? I think the transmissions go because they overheat.
I appreciate you! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Appreciate you! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
Welcome (back?)...sounds like you have some work ahead....well, this is the place to find answers.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For the lift;
927 front 948 rear OME
with either OME or Bilstein front SHOCKS
and either OME 132 L rear shocks or Bilstein 24-185660
Teraflex front bumspstops ( have to call them since they do not advertise them online but have them )
for rear 2 hockey pucks per side bolted down to the lower spring perch if using the correct backspaced wheels and correct width

As far as the bad transmissions
do you pull a trailer a lot or ???
If overheating them there has to be a reason
I've pulled trailers from Northwest Ohio to Boston several times and also from Ohio to Florida four times with no issues and do NOT have the tow package
Last trip to Florida the 04 had over 190,000 miles on it ( bought new )

Oxygen sensors on the 04 replaced them once in 233,000 miles
on the 03 over 170,000 and still stock
so maybe just bad ju-ju LOL