Non-metal spark plug gap guage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gauge are you guys using to check the gap on platinum coated spark plugs? I can't find any non-metal gap gauges at any of the parts stores around here.

Jomac

Reaction score
i was told that that was not necessary as long as you are careful and don't bang the plugs around. one would think that if a plastic gapper was required you could find one anywhere. i haven't been able to find one online or at the auto parts stores. this would lead me to believe that plastic gappers are not a must. i used a metal gapper with no ill effects when i installed my autolite double plats.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plugs that spark? Isn't that dangerous around flammables?

Not if you read the warning labels and use oven mits when handling them.........:smokin:

I just use a metal gapper carefully.

Dave

motorking

Reaction score
Spark Plug gapping

Hi,
I am the technical manager at Autolite spark plugs. You do not need a plastic gap guage fr platinum or idirium spark plugs. You DO need to be very carefull when checking and changing the gap on precious metal spark plugs. Always use the tool on the gap gauge to manipulate the side wire to open the gap and tap the side wire on a hard surface to close the gap. NEVER stick anything between the center electrode and side wire to pry open the gap, that is where most go wrong when gapping plugs. Good luck and let me know if I can be of further help. [email protected]