Noise when turning...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JGilkey

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport. It's been making this awful noise when I turn, almost like the noise a remote control car makes. It sounds like the tires are rubbing, but I don't see any obvious wear.

I had heard something about problems with the rear wheel differential... but I have no idea what that means.

Any ideas??

dnm45227

Reaction score
Two things. Make sure you don't have it in part time 4wd and make sure the ball jints aren't bad. Just two things that come to mind, may not help you though.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Does the noise only happen when the wheel is turned all the way in either the left or right direction? If so... NORMAL.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd also take a look at the bearings. In fact, if it's just while turning one direction and not the other, then it probably is one of the bearings. I had that happen on another vehicle, which is why I am mentioning it. It was like a thump thump thump during turns only, lol!

springroll

Reaction score
Two things. Make sure you don't have it in part time 4wd and make sure the ball jints aren't bad. Just two things that come to mind, may not help you though.

With Jeep, why can't you turn when you are in 4wd PT mode? I am having the same trouble when turning to the right in cold engine, but it gets better when the engine has warmed up.

dnm45227

Reaction score
I'm sure others will explain it better than this, but here goes. The axles/tires are all turning at the same rate, that causes "drive line binding" or "wheel hop". This means instead of rolling, some of your tires are being (lack of better term) pushed.

I think jeep.com has a good video that explained the way the systems works and it covered "drive line binding" pretty well.

btw, welcome to the board!

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheels do not spin at the exact same speed, there needs to be an element of slipage in order to drive "smoothly" in 4WD PT. It you have that much traction you dont need the part time on.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
remote control car makes

I only have this when the wheels are turned all the way to either side. It releases the pressure (or so I think) since there no more room to go, whether I am moving or not.

No turning on dry surface with 4x4 PT.

Gwakie

Reaction score
Hi There, I'm new to this site.
I had a similar experience with my 2003 CRD, a grinding noise from the rear when turning in either direction, turns out I had to replace the anterior and pinion bearings in the differential.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
After my brakes were replaced and after a work was done on rear differrential I started hearing grinding noises after the first start, but I think that's coming from the brakes..