Noise in 5th Gear....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deknight

Reaction score
For anyone who has the 5 spd manual, or maybe even 6. Do you notice a slight rattling noise coming from the transmission when you are in 5th gear? I have a 2004 sport and for me, the noise isn't that loud, almost like I shifted into 5th too early, but I will be going 65+. All the other gears are quiet and all I hear is the engine.... I remember reading a review of the liberty before I bought mine, and in it the author had the same problem. I am wondering if all the manual Libertys are the same.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the overdrive trannies I had the 5th and 6th gears are on a different shaft. You could have a bearing starting to go. My Dodge would start making that noise than start shifting notchy than lose the top gear. It was the bearing on the pilot shaft side (one closest to the clutch/flywheel), also taking the ****** seal, that failed on my ****** twice as it takes the most load in overdrive. That ****** you have is built in Germany, and is supposed to be a HD unit, they use them on the CRDs in Europe also.