New (to me) 2012 KK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my KK yesterday. I missed out by a few hours on a Latitude edition but am happy with my Sport. It's going to take some getting used to coming from an '05 Renny.

Already had to bring it back to the dealership today for a flickering gauge in the dash. They are replacing the whole cluster. Thinking about getting the headlight masks. I was considering swapping out the whole light for the Jet/Renegade version with the blacked out interior but due to budget restraints I may have to spend that money elsewhere.

Anything else I should be warned about? I know it's a day late and a dollar short for warning but, well... I miss hanging out here. :Moon:

Bmxer524

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my KK yesterday. I missed out by a few hours on a Latitude edition but am happy with my Sport. It's going to take some getting used to coming from an '05 Renny.

Already had to bring it back to the dealership today for a flickering gauge in the dash. They are replacing the whole cluster. Thinking about getting the headlight masks. I was considering swapping out the whole light for the Jet/Renegade version with the blacked out interior but due to budget restraints I may have to spend that money elsewhere.

Anything else I should be warned about? I know it's a day late and a dollar short for warning but, well... I miss hanging out here. :Moon:

If you like the black headlights of the Jet/Renegade, you can always bake the lights to open them up and paint the bezels. That will save a few bucks and look factory.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are masked headlights, is that the black background ones?

Congrats i got a 12 also and the difference between the kj and the kk comfort wise is huge!

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bmxer524 - I have seen the baked lights and honestly, I don't trust myself to not mess it up. I am comfortable working on my vehicles but something about baking the lights worries me.

k99jk99j - The light masks are a piece of molded ABS that you paint and install over your existing headlights rather than swapping out the housing for a blacked out one. They are around $50 on eBay. There are a few local stores around here that sell color match car paint in spray cans so I can paint it myself. Or I can have a buddy at a local body shop paint it for me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Watch the rear sway bar links.
Dunno if they fixed this by 2012, but my radio STILL can't keep time. I have to reset it every week.
Front end is just as fragile as the KJ and dang near identical. Keep an eye on it.
Be happy that you got a 2012. You'll miss out on the fun that we 2008-2010 owners had.

Bmxer524

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watch the rear sway bar links.
Dunno if they fixed this by 2012, but my radio STILL can't keep time. I have to reset it every week.
Front end is just as fragile as the KJ and dang near identical. Keep an eye on it.
Be happy that you got a 2012. You'll miss out on the fun that we 2008-2010 owners had.

There's a tsb for the radio. My clock has been perfect for the past year or so now. Also you 08-10s get lucky and have hypertech support.

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I will be sure to keep an eye on those things. I just got it back about an hour ago so I'm not sure if the clock keeps time yet.

I really want to add some recovery points too but it appears as though it won't be as easy as I first though. Considering the dual front hitch receivers with d-rings after reading several forums.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bmxer524 - I have seen the baked lights and honestly, I don't trust myself to not mess it up. I am comfortable working on my vehicles but something about baking the lights worries me.

k99jk99j - The light masks are a piece of molded ABS that you paint and install over your existing headlights rather than swapping out the housing for a blacked out one. They are around $50 on eBay. There are a few local stores around here that sell color match car paint in spray cans so I can paint it myself. Or I can have a buddy at a local body shop paint it for me.

You must be registered for see images attach
i did not even know those existed, thanks for educating!

Members online

No members online now.