New Speakers but installation issue with mounting holes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put some new speakers in my 03 Jeep KJ.

I was told that the size was 6.5 inches. So I purchased 4 Kicker CS65 speakers.

They did not fit in the same holes as the OEM speakers. I ended up drilling new holes for them. I could only align 2 holes up with the speakers to the vehicle door.

Does this seem normal?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
There's probably no "great" answer which anyone could give with actually seeing them in person, but if they are flush with the door and you're confident they are in there to stay, I probably wouldn't worry about it. That answer might vary depending on how much the speakers cost, though. Another factor might be how much the doors are used. I'm the only one who ever drives my Jeep and I rarely have passengers. My driver's side door probably gets opened and shut a dozen times a week, and that's it. If I had four kids and was running errands all day long they'd be under more stress. Overall, being mounted so low on the door I doubt they are going anywhere, assuming they're in there really solid to begin with.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's probably no "great" answer which anyone could give with actually seeing them in person, but if they are flush with the door and you're confident they are in there to stay, I probably wouldn't worry about it. That answer might vary depending on how much the speakers cost, though. Another factor might be how much the doors are used. I'm the only one who ever drives my Jeep and I rarely have passengers. My driver's side door probably gets opened and shut a dozen times a week, and that's it. If I had four kids and was running errands all day long they'd be under more stress. Overall, being mounted so low on the door I doubt they are going anywhere, assuming they're in there really solid to begin with.

Thanks man for the tips. I will keep them the way they are and make sure that people don't slam doors. I am the only one who rides in it.

bassmanbob

Reaction score
I mounted 4 aftermarket infinity kappa 6.5s in my doors and if I remember correctly I put some foam behind them and drilled new holes. Have had them on for a year plus now and they work great. Make sure you do the job right the first time and never have to worry about it again.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted 4 aftermarket infinity kappa 6.5s in my doors and if I remember correctly I put some foam behind them and drilled new holes. Have had them on for a year plus now and they work great. Make sure you do the job right the first time and never have to worry about it again.

Were you able to mount all four holes in the door? I could only get 2 of the 4.

I didn't do the form behind them, though...

How do they sound?

ebelements

Reaction score
I used the aftermarket brackets, and had all four in securely in no time. It's what I'd recommend to anyone piecing together an audio upgrade. Worth the money to circumvent a headache.

Running new speaker wire however, I would not want to do again.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go to a local audio shop they will sell you the adaptor rings you need, metra makes decent ones.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about redoing it now with everyone saying I should use the adapter rings.

I don't know if I like the audio quality out of the Kickers because they have very little bass. It seems as if the factory OEM speakers had better bass...

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about redoing it now with everyone saying I should use the adapter rings.

I don't know if I like the audio quality out of the Kickers because they have very little bass. It seems as if the factory OEM speakers had better bass...

That happens with a lot of speakers. They get clearer with the consequence of less bass, but they'll still HIT hard. I love my Polk coaxials. Those things SCREAM and don't have half bad bass at all. I can't wait until I can afford the Components for the front...!!!!

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That happens with a lot of speakers. They get clearer with the consequence of less bass, but they'll still HIT hard. I love my Polk coaxials. Those things SCREAM and don't have half bad bass at all. I can't wait until I can afford the Components for the front...!!!!

What are you going to get for the front?

Should I consider getting a subwoofer and amp?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you going to get for the front?

Should I consider getting a subwoofer and amp?

I'm no expert in sound myself, but cargo area is too precious for a sub for me. I want to get these components: Polk Audio db6501 6.5" 2-way Component Car Speakers System (db 6501)

I currently have these coaxials in my back doors: Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers: Car Electronics

They SCREAM. Plenty of bass FOR ME. However, I'm not the kind of guy that wants to rattle people's windows as I drive down the street. I like a really crisp sound to my rock music. Depending on how the components sound, I MIGHT invest in ONE ten or twelve inch sub with the appropriate amp. FYI I'm not using any amp for the door speakers. Just a crappy aftermarket Sony Xplode HU.

bassmanbob

Reaction score
Sound quality is beyond amazing, almost nothing beyond incredibley high notes mixed with crazy bass (dubstep/electronic music) can distort the sound. Driven off nothing but an older Sony headunit the speakers sound amazing all things considered. I only have them playing above 120Hz w/ a high/low pass filter setup through my headunit. YMMV though, took a bit of tweaking to get everything just right with my speakers. And yes, was able to drill all four holes and mount them (keep in mind the speaker may not be flush with ring hence my suggestion of foam or another intermediary material like weatherstripping to fill the void)

lochlan82

Reaction score
Alpine S-types are the the ones i have. i was told they are some of the only ones that fit the kj without drilling new holes

NCM

Reaction score
Replaced all four speakers with infinity 6032 from crutch field that included adapter rings. Also bought door panel tools, so install was easy, except for remounting the front door amps.