New Liberty Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marauder4

Reaction score
Hey all! I just picked up an 02 Liberty Sport for a great price. After swapping the passenger's front axle and filling up the power steering reservoir the thing runs like a top. There are a few other tweeks that I'm looking into, and I figured I'd hit up some folks who have some time with them.

When I'm not searching for knowledge from a base of zero, I hunt, fish, hike, camp, and do all the other outdoor stuff that comes along with that!

I look forward to learning as much as I can here!

Reactions: klc

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site
When you replaced the right side CV, did you also replace the intermediate shaft ?
If not get one and replace it soon as possible
They wear in together and if not replaced as a pair it will wear out the new part fast

marauder4

Reaction score
Well, that I did not know! I had to take the inside cup of the shaft AND the transfer (intermediate?) shaft out and knock the cup off the shaft with a hammer...

Looking up parts, I replaced this thingamajig:
You must be registered for see images attach

Which was stuck on the shaft from this doohicky:
You must be registered for see images attach

so the doohicky shaft came out and went to the bench. The thingamajig then went through the metal frisbee looking jobber that had the clampy bits attached to it...

Those are technical names I'm sure!
;)

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not even sure what you replaced now since the bottom picture is the transfer case and top picture shows a CV for the right side
The CV ( first picture ) attaches to the intermediate shaft then goes into the front differential
The front driveshaft goes from transfer case, second picture , to the front and rear differential , and no way did you install that CV into the transfer case
Not even sure you know now what you did LOL
But fact remains you need to replace the Intermediate Shaft ( not a transfer shaft ) or ruin the new CV ( which hopefully was a remanufactured one from NAPA )
You had to knock it off with a hammer since the groves in both shafts wear and then get a bit off kilter and wear into a bad position, hence the need to replace BOTH parts ( CV and Intermediate shaft )

marauder4

Reaction score
Well ****! :D

I watched a youtube video and the right front CV boots were both shot and the shaft had pulled out of the cup thingie. The shaft that was stuck in the cup came out of the front transfer case (which is why I called it a transfer shaft), which means I need to get a new intermediate shaft and go through the process all over again.

And this is why I came here...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

I watched a youtube video and the right front CV boots were both shot and the shaft had pulled out of the cup thingie. The shaft that was stuck in the cup came out of the front transfer case (which is why I called it a transfer shaft), which means I need to get a new intermediate shaft and go through the process all over again.

Front differential not front transfer case
and that is why we are here to help :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
marauder4
Not down playing your issues or trying to correct you all the time,
But when talking about different parts of a vehicle it is always good to know what they are called so others who may have an issue like that can explain what's happening and where

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score

Congrats. Got my start wrenching on these things with the same problems.

Might be too late, but is the rebuilt shaft in the proper way? I shredded a ton of boots til I figured out I had put the dang thing in backwards…

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats. Got my start wrenching on these things with the same problems.

Might be too late, but is the rebuilt shaft in the proper way? I shredded a ton of boots til I figured out I had put the dang thing in backwards…
???? will only go in one way
one end slips over the Intermediate shaft and the other goes through the wheel bearing

marauder4

Reaction score
Oh I fully understand what I don't know! Feel free to correct me as I get it that I am not a mechanic but am mechanically inclined. As I stated, this is why I came here. The new intermediate shaft has been installed in the DIFF and we're off to the races again.

Now it's issues with interior lighting and the air bag light. I will have nothing to do with air bags as they are stupid dangerous in untrained hands. Which fuses usually **** when it comes to the shifter lights, underdash lights, and the map lights front and back?

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s how the code that runs this forum is set up by the owners. The moderators don’t have any control over it. There’s a thread about this that explains things better than I.