New Jeep (for me)....Heater issue + more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viperp2pt0

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just joined, as I purchased my first jeep last night. I bought a certified pre-owned 2002 jeep liberty limited, with just about every option availble, with 18,000 miles on it. I love the car so far, but one slight issue. When the heater is on, and the temp control knob is set all the way to hot, cold air blows out...if you turn it a little towards cold, hot air will start blowing out. Has anybody heard of this before, or have any idea how to fix it? The dealer said to bring it in and they'd look at it, but if its somethign simple i'd rather do it myself then be without a car for a day.

also, my car was said to be "flame red", but its not. I have a 2005 srt-4 that is flame red, so I know for sure its not the same color. My liberty is a rusty-orangish color. Whats the real name for this color? Its not dodge's 'orange blast' is it?

Anyway, great car, great forums, I expect to learn much about these cars from here.

2003KJ

Reaction score
first off, (welcome) to the site! You got a hell of a JEEP (NOT a car...lol).

I'm not sure about the heater issue however.....that's the first i've heard of one doing that.

For the color, I know the name, just can't quite get it off the tip of my tounge. I'm sure Marlon or somebody will chime in and give the correct name (now that i'm gonna be thinking about it all day...LOL).

wow, a 2002 with only 18K on it!? That's a steal!

You'll love the 4x4 come winter when you get all that snow up there.....speaking of which, which 4x4 do you have? If you have the "full time" option inbetween 4HI and Neutral than you have the selec-trac system, which is the Np242 transfer case. If you don't have that option, and it just goes 4HI, N, 4LO than you have Command-Trac, which is the Np231 t-case. Both are very reliable, and are the exact same ones that can be found in the legendary Cherokee's (so that tells you that they're pretty strong). With the Np242, you can put the t-case in "full time" and run it on dry pavement and not damage it (sort of like an all wheel drive system), where as 4HI and 4LO are only ment for offroad or slippery conditions....4HI will do you just fine for most wheelin and for your snow storms and such. 4LO is if you plan to haul somebody out of a ditch (say on a snowy day) or if you're rock crawling...lol. This goes the same for both t-cases.

With 18K, chances are it's still got the stock tires. If you got the money, i'd advise you replace them (stockers were Goodyears, and depending on what tire package the orig. owner got depends on which one out of three crapyears you got.) Browse around on here and you'll see many choices that people have gone with, some good, some bad. Are you planning on doing any offroading with this Jeep? If so, you'd be better off looking into a set of all-terrains (BFG Allterain T/A K.O.'s and Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO's are most popular, I have the REVO's and love them).

again (welcome) to our semi-disfunctional little (if you could call it little now) family!

viperp2pt0

Reaction score
Haha Thanks, Yes, it has only 18,000 on it, It has the selec-trac, abs, leather, sunroof, heated seats, everything. Got it for $13,500. It definatly still has the stock tires on it. I plan on leaving those on a for a bit longer, then when they're done I'll get some nice all terrains. I wasnt aware that you could have abs with rear drum brakes (really wish it had discs back there) but no biggie. Other than this MINOR heater issue the Jeep is unbelieveable. I cant wait to get home from work tonight so I can really look at things. I've got a fairly extensive background with cars..working on them modding them, so on and so-fourth, but this whole 4x4 thing is completely new to me. I must say I'm very excited. Thanks again.

2003KJ

Reaction score
yup, disc brakes were standard starting in 2003.

I believe the name of the color of your Jeep is Salsa Red if i'm not mistaken.

Guyute1210

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
yup, disc brakes were standard starting in 2003.

I believe the name of the color of your Jeep is Salsa Red if i'm not mistaken.

Some 2002's had Disc brakes too, and some of the Drum brake 02's also had a crap Dana 35 instead of the Corp 8.25"

Also, the color is Salsa Red and is a rare color to have.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!!

Ive never heard of the heater issue before? Sounds like the vacuum lines on the back of the controls have been switched around? :-s

viperp2pt0

Reaction score
Hmmm....so the temp control knob uses the vaccum lines? Or the vent direction control thingy? I figured the temp would just be some sort of rheostat or something, but maybe not.....

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
viperp2pt0 said:
Hmmm....so the temp control knob uses the vaccum lines? Or the vent direction control thingy? I figured the temp would just be some sort of rheostat or something, but maybe not.....

Nope, no rheostat.. Just vacuum. O:)

viperp2pt0

Reaction score
ah, so maybe one of the vaccum lines popped off or something...hmm actually makes sense...maybe I'll take a look at it later...thanks alot!

viperp2pt0

Reaction score
oh man....i just went to go grab lunch..and i was backing out of my parking spot and the car like stopped....like it was braking itself..i was like..hmm..thats odd...so i made sure the parkign brake was off and all, which it was...and i began to drive...a few seconds later my abs light comes on...so i pull back into another parking spot, and while im doing that i can feel / hear one of the wheels like locking /skidding a lil almost...i turned the car off, waited a few seconds then turned it back on and everything was fine. I went and got my food and on the way back the abs light came on, but it didnt do any of the previous symptoms. Any clues / ideas? Im going to bring it into the dealership it was purchased from on monday.
(Aeh)

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
viperp2pt0 said:
oh man....i just went to go grab lunch..and i was backing out of my parking spot and the car like stopped....like it was braking itself..i was like..hmm..thats odd...so i made sure the parkign brake was off and all, which it was...and i began to drive...a few seconds later my abs light comes on...so i pull back into another parking spot, and while im doing that i can feel / hear one of the wheels like locking /skidding a lil almost...i turned the car off, waited a few seconds then turned it back on and everything was fine. I went and got my food and on the way back the abs light came on, but it didnt do any of the previous symptoms. Any clues / ideas? Im going to bring it into the dealership it was purchased from on monday.
(Aeh)

This definitley does not have anything to do with the Heater Issue.

viperp2pt0

Reaction score
This definitley does not have anything to do with the Heater Issue.

....obviously...I just figured why start a new thread when I already have this one going.....kind of a "all my problems in one" thread.

viperp2pt0

Reaction score
ok....brought the jeep in.....abs is due to a bad speed sensor..which is gonna take a few weeks to get :-k and the heater is due to the "temperature knob needing to be recalibrated"...whatever the hell that means. So thats that. I have to bring it back in whenever they get the sensor. They said that the heater knob was fixed, but it wasnt...not at all..haha...anyone have any insight into the process of 'calibrating' the temp knob? I mean I'm going to have them 'fix' it again, but if its something simple, I'll do it myself because its REALLY annoying.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
viperp2pt0 said:
ok....brought the jeep in.....abs is due to a bad speed sensor..which is gonna take a few weeks to get :-k and the heater is due to the "temperature knob needing to be recalibrated"...whatever the hell that means. So thats that. I have to bring it back in whenever they get the sensor. They said that the heater knob was fixed, but it wasnt...not at all..haha...anyone have any insight into the process of 'calibrating' the temp knob? I mean I'm going to have them 'fix' it again, but if its something simple, I'll do it myself because its REALLY annoying.

Glad the ABS was a simple fix..

Ive never heard of a temp knob needing calibrating? Didnt know that could be done? :-s

viperp2pt0

Reaction score
yea...I find it very odd. I think that when the temp knob is at the highest heat setting its not making connection or something. Does anyone have an exploded view of this control? Or at the HVAC taken apart? I have a feeling that if they speed sensor is going to take them a week or two to get, god knows how long that would take if they had to order one....and its getting cold...:(..not having full heat *****!