New and in need of help.......PLEASE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GSXRGUY

Reaction score
Hello from SWMO.

Got an 02 Liberty, 3.7L 4X4.

Bought it used in 02 with 5K on the odometer, Now showing 124K.

Typical vehicle, It's starting to have problems. Can anyone help me decide on the best route for fixing my issues.

Driver side front and rear windows regulators are TOAST!!

Front Prop Shaft -Rear- CV is in need of replacing, was thinking of cvrestorations.com , Anyone have any experience with this?

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am pretty sure that others' regulators have gone out, and i think you just have to get a new one. try a junk yard!!! or e-bay

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard of the window regulators failing on the newer model KJ (usually 06-07), but never on 02s. As for the front driveshaft, you cant replace only one CV, the whole shaft has to be replaced. I know someone has replaced it with a regular U-joint shaft, but it will be $$$!!! I guess it is just normal wear and tear on a 6/7 yr old vehicle with over 100K.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt really consider that problems at all, more of normal wear and tear items.

Regulators are an easy fix. Check ebay or a junk yard. Just remember that regulators used after 05 are cheap so if you buy one off of ebay it probably wont last to long.

Replace the front drive-shaft and be done with it. It cannot be repaired.

phxtoad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the front prop shaft CV is going, then just replace the whole thing with a custom U-joint drive shaft... Lots of us have. I don't believe there are any manufacturers making them as a replacement part, but any driveshaft shop can whip one up. It's a common with the WJ crowd I hear.
________
Yamaha Yz250F

Last edited:

fulltimer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a ton of window regulators gone south. Do as suggested above or go with an after marked type. Most but not all have been the newer ones. Just remember that the new ones will go out also. They cost a bunch at the stealerships!!

If you have one start making a lot of noise when going up or down it won't last much longer. The noise comes from a plastic part that rides up and down in a metal track. With a lot of twisting around you can but grease on your finger and grease the track. That will stop the noise and I believe keep your regulator from breaking. It did on mine anyway.

Terry

phxtoad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no clue on the kit. It might work just fine - probably cheaper than a new shaft for sure!

By the way, I had an '86 GSXR 750 for four years when I was in college. I put over 40,000 miles on it before I sold it (never should have sold it). I loved that bike. Since then I've gone through an '85 Nighthawk S that I raised from the dead, and a '98 Bandit 1200S that I just sold. Now my only bikes have pedals... :(

Not sure what I'll get next, though. I'm leaning towards an adventure bike like an XR or DR or KLR.

Good luck with the fix.

Todd
________
Justin Bieber Fans

Last edited:

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same milage and i've had both those problems. =)

regulator is almost $500 by the dealership.. 2.5 hours labor @ $70 + parts.. (yeah right, i diagnosed the problem and had the old part out... but thats another forum...

The Cv join on the forward axle, does this make a griding popping noise when you try to back up, and apply pressure to the brake at low speeds? I'm having a strange problem noise coming from transfer case.. was going to replace transfer case. but i want to investigate this.

GSXRGUY

Reaction score
I have no clue on the kit. It might work just fine - probably cheaper than a new shaft for sure!

By the way, I had an '86 GSXR 750 for four years when I was in college. I put over 40,000 miles on it before I sold it (never should have sold it). I loved that bike. Since then I've gone through an '85 Nighthawk S that I raised from the dead, and a '98 Bandit 1200S that I just sold. Now my only bikes have pedals... :(

Not sure what I'll get next, though. I'm leaning towards an adventure bike like an XR or DR or KLR.

Good luck with the fix.

Todd

Thanks for the response.

Here is a pic of me during a track day........on my 06

Attachments

• Star School 05-18-19-2008 055 800x600.jpg
    Star School 05-18-19-2008 055 800x600.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 9

GSXRGUY

Reaction score
Same milage and i've had both those problems. =)

regulator is almost $500 by the dealership.. 2.5 hours labor @ $70 + parts.. (yeah right, i diagnosed the problem and had the old part out... but thats another forum...

The Cv join on the forward axle, does this make a griding popping noise when you try to back up, and apply pressure to the brake at low speeds? I'm having a strange problem noise coming from transfer case.. was going to replace transfer case. but i want to investigate this.

Actually I only hear it at slow speeds in 4wd, and sometimes when it is in 2wd and been city driving for a few hours and high speeds. I put it up on a lift and noticed I could see inside the rear cv axle....RUSTED.

phxtoad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to get off topic...

Mine in her Bauhaus glory (as I was an architecture student and fan of the band).

You must be registered for see images attach

Weird to think there's 20 years between our bikes.
________
South park dicussion

Last edited: