Need lift now...bought new tires/wheels and they don't fit!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshy0077

Reaction score
Hey there folks,

Well I talked to a tire/wheel dealer and they sold me 255/65/17 Revo's with my 17" Moto Metal Rims (-12.00mm offset). They arrived in the mail today, and they look amazing, however, I installed one on my drivers side just to test the fit, and of course, they don't. If I were to drive on them and make the slightest turn they would rip off my fender flares in a heartbeat. So now I'm in the market for a lift, and I'm asking you guys to give me some advice...

I'm not looking to spend too much money, since I just invested so much in tires/rims, I don't offroad too much, so that isn't a big concern right now.

I got a quote to install a skyjacker spacer system with labor and alignment for $575+tax

Rocky Road Outfitters sells the Rockfather I for $399 - sounds like a great kit...they also sell two spacer kits that are about $220 each.

Have been looking at both Rusty's kits (spacers and suspension lift), the $450 kit is probably my upper limit on price range, not sure if Rusty's kits are better or worse than R.R.O. kits, and I'm not sure whether I should just stick with spacers or go all out and get a suspension kit

I know there are a couple other companies offering similar products, these are just the big names I've done some research on, the Skyjacker kit seems a bit over priced ($335 for spacers?!) so I'm trying to avoid that.

If you guys have any other input on how to fix this problem let me know, I'm not at all experienced in lift kit installation, but some of the posts seem to be rather helpful, so I think my buddy and I can figure it out (hopefully) and just get my libby aligned at a shop afterwards. I just need to make a decision on whether to pay someone else to do it, or DIY and choose the right kit for my needs, spacers or suspension kit, and best value per brand.

I appreciate it, as always,

Josh

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rusty's coil spring lift is the best bang for the buck. You get alot for the price. New struts and shocks, plus new springs. You will most likely want new shocks after a lift, because of the increased height. New struts are not necessary but make for a nicer ride. Once you start adding new shocks and struts to a spacer lift and you come up close to the same price as Rusty's coil lift and you still only have the old coil springs.

Some styles of spacers lifts can cause problems that the vendors will not admit. They are well document here and on the LOST board.
Stay away from the OTT style spacer lifts or any spacer kit that uses only an outside-the-strut spacer. That includes Rusty's Spacer lift, one of Rocky Roads (the OTT I believe), Tera flex and a maybe a few others.

A good spacer lift uses an in-strut style spacer (Daystar) or a combination of a in-strut spacer and small outside-the-strut spacer (Rocky Roads Combo).

You are correct Skyjacker seems a bit overprice for just a spacer kit unless it includes new shocks and struts.

joshy0077

Reaction score
Yeah it looks like a good deal, especially when compared to the Rockfather I, anyone know if the Rusty's kit comes with install instructions, and is the installation very complicated? I didn't see any manuals on the website...but it sounds like I'm going to buy this kit regardless of how broke I am right now. Can anyone provide me with a reason to just get spacers? $219 for rusty's with rear shocks sounds pretty sweet compared to $460, is the full suspension kit that much better (+$240)?

Thanks for the info!

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install is fairly straight forward. Its basically a remove and replace type job, instructions and helpful for a first timer, but not necessary. You will need a decent set of tool though. Probably need to take it to a shop to have the springs compressed in unless you have a spring compressor and an impact wrench. You could turn the simple manual spring compressor with hand tools but it would probably take a few hours of just turning a wrench to get the job done. Everything else is simple with a good set of tools.

If you want to drive all the way down to Dayton, I will put it in for you. I've done 3 Rusty's kits and numerous other KJ lifts. However that is quite a ride.

Go with the full kit. Rusty's spacer is an OTT style spacer and will more than likely cause problems. Just search around on http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/ and you will see all kinds of problems with OTT style kits.

joshy0077

Reaction score
If you want to drive all the way down to Dayton, I will put it in for you. I've done 3 Rusty's kits and numerous other KJ lifts. However that is quite a ride.

Hey Eddo thanks a lot for the help, I decided to order Rusty's suspension lift kit, and as much as I would love to drive down to Dayton, I don't have the time (or gas money after this purchase) right now, I appreciate the offer! I was wondering however, that since you seem very experienced with installing these lifts if you could by chance provide me with an installation guide? I know it's asking a lot but it would help me out a lot, hopefully I'll get this kit by Friday before the snow is supposed to fall and my friend and I can have it on by Friday night.

Thanks again for everything,

Josh