Need Help!! Strange noise when running AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epp

Reaction score
My daughter's Jeep started making a strange noise when running the air conditioner. Based on information I read in another thread I replaced what was probably the original the belt and tensioner with a Dayco belt and tensioner and noise went away. A couple of weeks later my daughter calls and tells me the noise is back again. I took this video of the car this weekend when she was in town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgKS5lPv-IU

How likely is it that the new tensioner I put on has gone bad? I'm thinking it may be the compressor going out. Any tips on how I can better isolate the problem or should I just plunk down the money and replace the compressor?
Any help will be appreciated.

epp

Reaction score
No it is still unresolved. My daughter has the car at her college and since the weather has cooled down I have just told her not to run the air conditioner. I'm hoping for some suggestions to isolate the problem before I order a new compressor. Are you having a similar problem?

gnp.hiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity the belt is routed properly? Strange enough I recently had the transmission serviced and while at it had the dealer replace the belt. Two days later I notice an obvious ticking noise yet couldn't quite place which pulley it was. Happened to look at belt routing and noticed it was not installed according to the diagram under the hood. I swapped it around and no more noise ... :shrug:

epp

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I double checked the belt routing and actually took the belt off and spun all of the pulleys (they seemed to be ok) and put the belt back on. All the pulleys seemed fine. The sound is more than just a ticking, more like a loud clacking. I just picked up an auto stethoscope so when my daughter is back in town over the holidays I will see if it will help pinpoint the source of the noise.