Need Help - several issues '11 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solemnraven

Reaction score
We've had this 2011 Liberty since 2012, bought it with low miles. Since then fairly regular with oil changes and the like. Tires whenever needed, just replaced the pads and front rotors.

Since early 2015 we moved out to the country. We started having problems with our Liberty on starting. It seems to happen when we go on long trips (200-300+ Mile days) we would be driving for a while we stop for gas and all of a sudden it won't start up again. The starter goes and goes, and it acts like it's not getting enough gas. Also the ECT light is on along with the CEL. After a few minutes of sitting and turning the car on to ACC - letting the ECT light go off the car can start.

We also took the Jeep to a mechanic recently to diagnose a random squeal noise. He told us that there's a bottom end clunk coming from the engine as if the engine is going. I don't know what to make of this. He also told me the wheel bearing was going out on one side.

Then at random periods the Jeep falls out of gear while in 4wd high. I travel on dangerously icy roads and a dirt road daily so I keep in 4wd high in order to navigate the bumps and slush. Today the Jeep acted like I threw it into neutral. Because this has happened before, I slowed down to a stop on the shoulder and put the Jeep into N, then R, and P then out of 4wd, and into Drive. I heard a loud clunk as it engaged and I could drive again.

What the hell is wrong with our Jeep? Can it be saved? Please help.