Need help from the Jeep Liberty experts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of months ago my check engine light came on. Had a friend check out my Liberty's computer, and he gave me two cat converter codes.

So I came to the conclusion that I probably need a new catalytic converter. But I wasn't gona deal with it till I take it in for inspection in October.

Now I'm getting a "GAS CAP" message in my dashboard. Checked my Gas Cap. It's on good.

Are they related? Or are they different issues?

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally different systems. One is saying you have an evap leak large enough to be a gas cap not on right, the other codes say your cats are contaminated, and no longer working right. Check the seal on the gas cap for any cracks. If any seen throw it away and buy a new one. Not alot you can do with the cats other then new ones. Make sure the engine runs good, no rough running, etc. Do you do alot of in town driving, and very little hwy?

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas cap code is also for the charcoal filter near tank. Crawl under your KJ with it off and in park. :). Behind drivers rear tire in front of gas tank there is a evaporate box. There is a hose there that is probably cracked. Mine was and I fabbed up a new hose. Dealership wanted around $60 for a 10" hose. One end is 1/2" and other is 3/4". 2 hose clamps some general hose and some epoxy will or should take care of it for you. It did for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miff_UK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas cap code is also for the charcoal filter near tank. Crawl under your KJ with it off and in park. :). Behind drivers rear tire in front of gas tank there is a evaporate box. There is a hose there that is probably cracked. Mine was and I fabbed up a new hose. Dealership wanted around $60 for a 10" hose. One end is 1/2" and other is 3/4". 2 hose clamps some general hose and some epoxy will or should take care of it for you. It did for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great tip, cheers.