Need an expert

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaximNIN

Reaction score
I have an '05 limited, trail rated liberty. When I first bought it a couple years ago (was my first 4X4 to own), I went camping with it in the mountains when it was about 2 weeks old. Before going up a steep mountain trail I put it into 4lo. Was a bit tricky, but I got it. I shifted in and out of 4lo several times that weekend and all worked well. A couple weeks after that I jumped the jeep into a mudhole (i think the tires may have left the ground, as everything from the cargo area wound up in the front floorboard). I wound up getting it stuck in a few feet of mud. Someone pulled me out and as I was driving to the carwash I noticed the transmission temperature light came on. After I washed all the mud off and the transmission could once again get air to cool, the light went off and all seemed fine. But ever since then, I can't get the Jeep into 4lo anymore. I've tried it in park, in neutral, and also at 2-3 miles an hour rolling forward. The lever will pull back into the 4lo position, but pops back forward. And it never actually goes into 4lo. No grinding, no nothing. Just feels like I'm pulling on a spring, nothing mechanical feeling about it, nothing feels like it's "popping" into place. I'm not sure how the system works, but I'm wondering if I knocked a cable lose or something. Can anyone help?

Last edited:

2003KJ

Reaction score
Sounds like you might have knocked your linkage out of adjustment....how about 4HI (and if equipped, 4 Full Time)? Do they engage/disengage properly?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might have knocked your linkage out of adjustment....how about 4HI (and if equipped, 4 Full Time)? Do they engage/disengage properly?
x2, had a guy do a run with us a couple of years ago and he had the same problem - couldn't engage 4LO and his trans temp light kept coming on. He took it in and wound up getting a new t-case under warranty, but it turns out his linkage was the culprit.