My New KJ (Build)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my old kj is done. The cost to repair the main issue is too high. Once you add in the the steering rack ps pump and cv it wasnt the right move to keep dumping money into it.

So I wanted something newer 05-07 but anyone of them at a reasonable price were rust buckets. I ended up finding a 2002 Limited with 99k miles. Total i paid $3500 tax and everything.

Its pretty clean outside has some scratches and crack in the bumper(any tips for touching up paint). It came with this (in my opinion) rare factory body color brush guard. Its plastic but i think its growing on me. Has the command track. Cloth interior has a few rough spots. What caught my eye and may have influenced my purchase it has a Borla cat back duel exhaust.

So this thread is just gonna be swapping parts back and forth from my old kj to the new. I already did the radio and tires.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks good. Where did you send your old KJ?

Any more pics of the crack?

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it. I was debating what to do with the silver rims on my silver kj

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jesse, if you are parting out with some parts on your old KJ let me know or maybe I should PM you.

I have a few parts I need.

muchos thanks!

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Where did you send your old KJ?

Any more pics of the crack?

I will snap some pics of the crack and other paint problems later today.

Old kj is currently sitting in front of my house. I am going to be swapping parts back and forth for stuff i know is brand new on my old one. I also have the lift that is only a year or so old so yea gotta get that. My father in law has a buddy that might buy it for $1400 and try to flip it. Which is one hell of a deal considering i have a brand new (3k miles) 45rfe that was fully remand from Shift Rite that cost me like $1700 all in plus my time.

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it. I was debating what to do with the silver rims on my silver kj

Yea i had painted these when they were on my blue kj. First i did black and got sick of it. Decided gunmetal was a unique cool way to go and i painted the undercarriage with rusto hammered grey which mached up pretty nice. So before i knew what jeep or color jeep i would be getting i knew it would go good or get painted. With the silver jeep the gun metal rims look great. I am waiting for the weather to shift so i can do a full detail and clean the tires and rims real good.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jesse, if you are parting out with some parts on your old KJ let me know or maybe I should PM you.

I have a few parts I need.

muchos thanks!

At this point in time its not the plan. It might end up going that way though. You’ll be my first call buddy:icon_razz:.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exterior cosmetic issues.

You must be registered for see images
[/url]

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ah, that's not that bad. Get OEM touchup paint and very gradually build it up so it's above the rest of the paint. Then wet sand (Youtube if you've never done it) and then buff.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, that's not that bad. Get OEM touchup paint and very gradually build it up so it's above the rest of the paint. Then wet sand (Youtube if you've never done it) and then buff.

I was considering just getting a spray can of dupli color perfect match and doing the whole front bumper. Which would you say is the better route.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd just try to touch it up first and if it doesn't look good, then do the whole bumper. It won't hurt to try touching it up.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Cosmetics will be in a week or two. First part of this swap/build will be the upper control arms and the lift. Once that is taken care of and i get the alignment i will be looking at painting and rust reforming the under carriage. I mean thats the plan but we all know how plans and jeeps go.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Never seen a brush guard like that, and after nearly five years here I thought I had seen it all.

Guess there is still more to learn. :)

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does the ride feel?

Engine and trans feel amazing smooth power. The suspension is clapped. Feels very rough and i am getting a front end knock coming from what i am guessing is the uca. I wont know more until i really start digging into it this weekend.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...The suspension is clapped. Feels very rough and i am getting a front end knock coming from what i am guessing is the uca. I wont know more until i really start digging into it this weekend.
Well, you were going to replace all that stuff anyway, right? ;)

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i think i seen it on google. I had never seen one in person. I really wasnt crazy about it at first but its growing on me almost makes the ol girl look a little more modern. Its not protecting a damn thing just for looks as its made of plastic. I think its cool cause its got the jeep badge. Its not some aftermarket piece that happens to fit the libby. It was designed and manufactured for the libby(as far as i know).

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you were going to replace all that stuff anyway, right? ;)

Yea thats my plan. I really wish i could do an alignment at home and have it be just as good as a shop. Thats the only thing really slowing me down. Not only the $$$ but scheduling and getting it in and out.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's a Mopar part, they're pretty rare. If you don't want it, I'm sure someone would pay a pretty penny for it. I'd bet that it was put on very close to when the KJ was new. When I got mine in 07 I know they weren't offering those in the Mopar catalogs anymore.

Are you going to swap seats too?

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a Mopar part, they're pretty rare. If you don't want it, I'm sure someone would pay a pretty penny for it. I'd bet that it was put on very close to when the KJ was new. When I got mine in 07 I know they weren't offering those in the Mopar catalogs anymore.

Are you going to swap seats too?

Thats what i was telling the wife when we first got it. Cause at that point i wasnt feeling it. The more i see it the more i like it.

My original idea for my old jeep was literally strip everything except the motor axles and body. So looking at it on the street it would look normal. I was gonna take all these parts and store them for repairs and try to sell the trans and anything else someone might buy. My wife liked this cause she wanted to keep the leather seats and interior door panels. This idea went out the window when my father in law said his friend would buy it. I will never get what i want for the trans and he is a good guy full knowing the good and bad.

Latest posts

Members online