MP3 player adapter kit for 2005 KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
It would be cheaper to by a good RF modulator, and use that with the power switch they come with. I have one, and I won't be using it. It's brand new, has RCA inputs, power switch, and two FM channels, the lower 88.x. You only need a PHONO to RCA cable... Mount the MP3 and run the cable to the RF modulator. When they plug RIGHT into the antenna lead, they work great. I used them with two CD changers, never got any bleed through with FM stations. If you have a MP3 player that uses SD cards, then you never have to move it, just swap cards...

I went with a head unit that has USB, SD Card, and Aux options, so I didn't use the FM modulator.

I also bought the Chrysler AUX in adapter that plugs into the CD changer port, but I could never get the MODE to CD, so that's sitting too... So, I just went with an after-market HU with the options I wanted. So, I have two 2GB SD cards with all my stuff, and the Sat radio in the AUX input.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, aftermarket HU would be the way to go if i didn't have the changer.
And that's the way i went with my previous liberty and wranglers.
But this is the first time a can actually leave the factory stereo (love the looks) and use my MP3 player.
I want steering wheel buttons to stay functional aswell.
So this is what i want to do.

FM modulator is worse, than no music, so i'm not even considering it.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
RF modulators (transmitters) are bad, but the ones that go in-line with the Antenna are excellent. I had two of those in my Avenger, with two changers, sounded BETTER than the radio, of course, they're CDs... The problem is the FM signal from the air is weekend to the radio by those modulators. I have never had a radio station over-power, or bleed through with an in-line FM modulator.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what i have in my 03' KJ now, a Peripheral Electronics model. Works great! Mine is different than that one though, mine plugs into and charges the iPod as well as gives me control of it from the steering wheel.

That one appears to be the audio only adapter they make.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what i have in my 03' KJ now, a Peripheral Electronics model. Works great! Mine is different than that one though, mine plugs into and charges the iPod as well as gives me control of it from the steering wheel.

That one appears to be the audio only adapter they make.

Can you give me a link to yours?

Powers978

Reaction score
Im not really tracking on this RF modulator thing. I have a 05 Jeep Lib Limited with the 6 disk changer/ sirius sat head unit. So do I hook the RF mod up directly to the the radio ant line, so that when i turn the RF mod on, it will play directly through the radio (on all stations I would presume?)? Can it be hooked into the sat radio line that is on the passenger side of the vehicle under the plastic near the running boards?

I will like to keep the 6 disk and satellite turner functional while having an Imput that has good high quality sound.

Awww KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a look at the inline disconnect for the FM cable in the cabin today.

Can we get some product reviews instead of "ebay link that's expired!!!" please?

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is what I have In my kj and in my brother in laws Chevy Colorado (which is great fun in the snow with so little weight out back, btw) and they both work great.
My old lady has the previous version of this because I put it in before this model came out and it is cd quality sound out of hers, too. Just make sure to use good connections.

And as others have stated, this is referred to as an FM modulator. FM transmitters are those pieces of crap that wirelessly transmit the signal to your radio and have the worst static and sound quality.

My only problem is a noise in my kj as the volume goes up using the modulator. It appears to be a ground loop problem and a solution is as easy as a $10 ground loop isolator, but Dwight Yoakam drowns out the noise very well, as does Megadeth.

Last edited: