more HP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that really wont do anything for you. those are pretty much just a scam.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it sounds too good to be true....

Alot of people recommend cold air intake and free flowing exhaust as "cheap" upgrades. I've done the whole intake and exhaust routine before and the amount of extra power you get out of that isn't worth the money to me. I mean maybe 10 HP for a few hundred dollars isn't cheap to me. Just my opinion...

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree,

No , it will not hurt your mpg. If you pull or haul it may even increase your mpg.

I'm no mechanic - but how the heck would that ever work?!?

And for 9 bucks total?

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glaurick said:
it just makes you run rich

The person selling this product is obviously trying to scam people. He is correct in saying that cooler intake temps will cause ECU to advance the timing a bit. On the flipside however, there's more risk of causing knock by adding in too much timing. Also there's an increased chance of running rich since the ECU will add more fuel like glaurick said.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, there's a lot of scams and snake oil out there. I guess that's why you asked.

This is a great board.

What I always wonder is if some of this hp/better gas mileage stuff being advertised was any good, then the manufactures/engineers would be putting them on - for the most part - since they would surely want to be able to advertise more horsepower and miles to the gallon to sell more vehicles.

Dave

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06Liberty said:

Alot of people recommend cold air intake and free flowing exhaust as "cheap" upgrades. I've done the whole intake and exhaust routine before and the amount of extra power you get out of that isn't worth the money to me. I mean maybe 10 HP for a few hundred dollars isn't cheap to me. Just my opinion...

Honestly if it was 10hp I don't think it would be bad.

A recent issue of 4-wheel drive and sport utility magazine installed a cold intake and Magnaflow cat-back on a KJ. The ran before and after dyno tests and only netted extra 3 Hp.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo said:
06Liberty said:

Honestly if it was 10hp I don't think it would be bad.

A recent issue of 4-wheel drive and sport utility magazine installed a cold intake and Magnaflow cat-back on a KJ. The ran before and after dyno tests and only netted extra 3 Hp.

No surprise...have you got under your KJ and checked out the exhaust system? It's an excellent exhaust setup for a stock vehicle.