Mopar fog light kit HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just got my Mopar fog light kit. I'll be installing it in my '03 KJ, but not before I figure a couple things out. I want to be able to have the lights on with just the parking lights on. How do I make that happen? I have read that splicing in to the parking light wire instead of the low beam wire is the way, but then will the fog lights turn off when I switch to my high beams? Also, if I were to tie in to the parking light wire and the low beam wire, would that make it so I could run the fogs with the parking lights on, and still have them shut off when the high beams are turned on? Sorry for the long winded post! I need some help! Last thing... anyone know which wire is the parking light wire? Thanks!!!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BLS WA Chapter SDMF said:
I just got my Mopar fog light kit. I'll be installing it in my '03 KJ, but not before I figure a couple things out. I want to be able to have the lights on with just the parking lights on. How do I make that happen? I have read that splicing in to the parking light wire instead of the low beam wire is the way, but then will the fog lights turn off when I switch to my high beams? Also, if I were to tie in to the parking light wire and the low beam wire, would that make it so I could run the fogs with the parking lights on, and still have them shut off when the high beams are turned on? Sorry for the long winded post! I need some help! Last thing... anyone know which wire is the parking light wire? Thanks!!!
OK, here are some answers. If you tie into the parking lights you can run the fogs whenever the park lights are on (park, low- or high-beam). You do not want to try tying into both the park and low-beam, that'll just cause problems. If you want to run the fogs per factory standard then you will need to connect to the low-beam wire; something to consider since most states have laws against running fogs with high-beams. I don't think most cops will pull you over for it specifically but just be aware of the possibility. As for wires, according to the '03 FSM the power wire for the left park light is dark green with a red stripe, and the power wire for the left low-beam is violet.

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spliced the fog light's switch into the, violet, low beams. It has never been a big deal for me to not have the fog-parking light combination, like I believe the factory installed fog lights have. The only annoying thing I have is the green fog light indicator on the dash. If I turn on the parking lights the fog light indicator comes on, even though the fogs are not on. If I turn on the parking lights and pull out the switch for the fogs I still have only the parking lights on and the green indicator is still on. If I had to do it over again I might use the parking lights instead of the low beams, however it's not a big enough deal for me to change it now.

Reaction score
Corwyyn said:
BLS WA Chapter SDMF said:
OK, here are some answers. If you tie into the parking lights you can run the fogs whenever the park lights are on (park, low- or high-beam). You do not want to try tying into both the park and low-beam, that'll just cause problems. If you want to run the fogs per factory standard then you will need to connect to the low-beam wire; something to consider since most states have laws against running fogs with high-beams. I don't think most cops will pull you over for it specifically but just be aware of the possibility. As for wires, according to the '03 FSM the power wire for the left park light is dark green with a red stripe, and the power wire for the left low-beam is violet.

When I tried hooking the fogs up to the parking light, it did NOT work. It did work with the low beam however. Any help folks?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using a separate switch for the fogs or the one built into the turn signal stalk on the steering column? Haven't looked at the kit so I'm not sure what is entailed in installing it. If you're using the factory switch (built into the turn signal) then connecting to the low beams would be correct since that is how they come from the factory.

Reaction score
I am using that factory switch. I was just hoping to be able to wire it so I could have the fogs on with just the parking lights. Didn't work though.

Latest posts

Members online