Milky sludge in oil filler neck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjcustoms

Reaction score
Hey guys! New to the forum, but long time jeep enthusiast. I have a 2003 Liberty Sport 4x4 with the 5-speed manual and only 56,000 miles. Absolutely love it and being in Northern Michigan it definitely gets it's trials through the seasons. Anyway, had a concern the other day because I opened the oil filler neck and there is a layer of milky white sludge coating it. The dipstick shows clean oil so I am thinking maybe it's a breathing problem because doesn't this usually denote moisture of some sort in the oil? This is a huge concern because I don't want to be rebuilding a motor any time soon! Maybe this has been covered already, but I haven't sifted through the 508 pages yet and need some help quickly. Anyone have any ideas?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Oil Filler Cap GUNK

When I first bought KJ I had read about this condensation problem in forum.
So I went to KJ and removed the oil filler cap. The end of the oil filler cap was completely gummed/gunked with the white milky sludge.:doublepuke:
Since I had the history of this vehicle all to 33k miles to where I bought it, All of the previous owners oil changes were done with regular oil.
So I cleaned the end of the cap with Varsol, and immediately replaced the PCV valve, and switched to full synthetic Mobil1.
No more milky cap here...:smokin:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I never thought about it ... but I had this when I first bought the KJ. After switching to synthetic I have not seen it again. Coincidence?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still get it occasionally but I use synthetic oil (which seems to keep it at a minimum) and don't do many short trips which seems to make it worse. I check it weekly and also pull the splash guard and if there is any in there I wipe it out and clean the splash guard and also check the pcv.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems to be some have it some don't
Me I have never had it on mine and have done a few oil changes where they were full
Nothing to worry about clean it out and forget it
just the cold air hitting the plastic oil filler neck

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for me its a winter thing only. i only get sludge when its super cold and i only do short drives, even then the sludge isnt to bad. now my girls vw cabrio is just a sludge factory in the winter. in both vehicles it all clears out in the spring

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
for me its a winter thing only. i only get sludge when its super cold and i only do short drives, even then the sludge isnt to bad. now my girls vw cabrio is just a sludge factory in the winter. in both vehicles it all clears out in the spring

Ditto on the bold part.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

Attachments

• KJOilFillerCapWrench.jpg
    KJOilFillerCapWrench.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 0

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw one at the dealer once. It fits a lot of Mopar stuff with the plastic filler necks. Found it on line but never got around to getting one....haha

(when I do an oil change I wipe my oily finger around the threads and mine always seems to come off by hand)

Dave

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's really cold when that is happening and consistently, it might have something to do with the pcv valve freezing up as described in the tsb

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, found some on ebay! Not going to order one just for one vehicle. I can see why a dealership or mechanic would have one for changing oil all week...

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"We are one of the largest tool stores for over 20 years in Windsor, Ontario."

Really? I've lived here my whole life minus a 6 month stint in Toronto and I've never heard of them lol

Latest posts

Members online